JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: GI Joe Subscription figures.  (Read 34079 times)

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Subscription figures.
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2011, 04:53:38 PM »

BOOM!!!!!!!

Now that is a Grand Slam!!!  (Baseball, not the figure  ;D)

This is a great update.  All the classic elements are there with a the modern styling.  Add in the accessories and the changeable hands and voila!!!  A figure every bit worth the $20+ dollars they are going to be asking.  Too bad I'm still not in for a subscription.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2011, 05:04:57 PM »

All 12 figures. I don't have any idea who the 13th free figure is.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Footloose.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2011, 05:15:27 PM »

I didn't notice TNT's silver base until that shot. Odd.

So, based on the 12 figures we have and assuming the 13th figure will be in the same vein, what do people think? How many winners do you see? How many winners would it take for you to subscribe? From the time you saw the leaked list to today, how have your impressions changed, what hopes were met, what weren't, what was exceeded?

Well here is my breakdown of what I see in the 12 figures, personal opinion of course.  Mostly based on would I pay the expected asking price $20-$25 (not including shipping or club membership).

Quarrel - Great to add an accurate international figure to go along with the other ones the club has produced.  Fairly faithful to the original.  I would buy it, but not as a club exclusice/sub.  I'm just not that invested in the international brands.  So No, but a really good figure.

NANO-Bat - A repaint that I don't care for, and certainly don't care enough to pay the price on.  The 90s are over, no more neon/dayglow figures.  This is a no.

Topside -  Aonther really good update with only minor differences that don't ruin the figure for me.  I like it and it is one of the few later new Joes that I really liked.  I would say yes to this figure.

Dice - Faithful to the original while modernized, which is an important factor for me.  However, I don't have much care for the character so while I would get it, I also wouldn't miss not getting the figure.  A yes, but not a strong one.

Tan Grunt - Another faithful update with an ingenious accessory to tie him to his ARAH counterpart.  Not one of my preferences for the first subscription lineup, but a yes for purchase.

Iron Klaw - Nice to have an homage to another line (ala Trakker/MASK).  Overall nice figure, but no personal interest in the character or figure, and not worth the price.  It is a no.

Barrel Roll - A figure I actually own from the early 2000s and one I am familiar with to a small degree.  I wouldn't mind it, but I would have preferred ARAH figures over other eras.  I understand why they did what they did, and this figure is probably one of the few really popular characters of that era.  I think they missed the mark on colour scheme and choice of helmet.  This is a no.

Jinx - Really nice figure with some interesting design choices.  I like the update to the 2000s era version, but again I would have much preferred the ARAH version.  Nice giure, not worth the price.  Another no.

TNT - Again another fairly faithful update to an international figure.  Overall the same points as with Quarrel.  An okay figure, but a no.

Sure-Fire - I won't bother going into it again.  Don't know the character, don't care for the colour/parts choices and it is not worth the price.  An easy no.

Cover Girl - Overall a pretty close update.  The head is definitely the killer for me on this figure, otherwise it would have been an easy yes.  However having another Sparta figure with a different colour of hair and a jacket is not enough.  An unfortunate no for me.

Big Boa - Horrible figure!!!  KIDDING!  As I said, this is a really good and faithful update, WITH accessories out the wazoo!!!!  Easy, easy, easy YES.

Overall I like the idea, but I think the character selection was a bit too diverse to go with the inevitable asking price.  Along with some poor/questionable design choices.  Again I feel that for the first subscription lineup they should have gone with an ARAH heavy lineup.  For all the talk about diversity in the community, ARAH is still the top seller, much like G1 for Transformers was until the movies.  (Among collector's at least).  The club has done this for awhile now and while trying to be everything to everyone is a nice idea, it rarely works in buisness.

I have the feeling that if this does well enough to warrant a second round, we might see a more ARAH focused lineup.  Just my guess though.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2011, 05:18:20 PM »

Isn't he the membership figure this year (2012)?  That you get for free if you sign up in time?

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2011, 05:23:49 PM »

Isn't he the membership figure this year (2012)?  That you get for free if you sign up in time?

Crap, forgot about that.  So your right.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2011, 05:48:27 PM »

Overall I like the idea, but I think the character selection was a bit too diverse to go with the inevitable asking price. 

This is something I've contemplated since the reveals started. The club has said the FSS figures would be available for individual purchase but in limited quantities. That basically means a customer hopes to like all 12 revealed figures and have enough faith in the 13th figure to want it sight unseen. Yet the club chose a respectable mix of characters from a chasm wide variety of points in the line as well as international figures. So if you're just an 82-86 collector, there are a couple of figures aimed at you (Grunt, Cover Girl). If you're an 87-94 collector, there are a few figures aimed at you (Big Boa, Topside, Dice, arguably Jinx). There's Iron Klaw for Extreme fans, Surefire for Collector's Era fans, Barrel Roll for new sculpt fans, Jinx has a touch of Sigma 6 influence, TNT and Quarrel are for international fans, and Nano-BAT is for fans of unreleased figures we knew about.

I ask myself how many collectors cross over enough of those fan bases to want even a majority of the figures. Contrast that with is there any one fan base big enough to support FSS if they were the only target. If this year's theme was filling out all the characters from between 1982 and 1987 who have not been updated, would that sell enough subscriptions? That is if Hasbro even let them. This year alone Hasbro is releasing Airtight, Lineline, Sci-Fi, all the remaining Dreadnoks and all of Slaughter's Renegades.

I know if they released one or two Sigma 6 or Tiger Force inspired modern era figures, it wouldn't be enough to get me to subscribe. I would literally need 10 of the 12 to be exactly what I want before I subscribed. And at that point it's more of a boxed set than subscription line.
Updated!

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2011, 06:12:45 PM »

Anyhoo, this SureFire is an (expensive) easter egg. I'm not going to get one, but for the people who think it's neat, I'm glad they're getting the fig. I'm sure the 25th Big Lob I'm eagerly anticipating will get made one of these days.

You mean this figure?!!
http://gijoeclub.com/clubexclusives10.cfm#biglob
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2011, 06:19:37 PM »

Overall I like the idea, but I think the character selection was a bit too diverse to go with the inevitable asking price. 

This is something I've contemplated since the reveals started. The club has said the FSS figures would be available for individual purchase but in limited quantities. That basically means a customer hopes to like all 12 revealed figures and have enough faith in the 13th figure to want it sight unseen. Yet the club chose a respectable mix of characters from a chasm wide variety of points in the line as well as international figures. So if you're just an 82-86 collector, there are a couple of figures aimed at you (Grunt, Cover Girl). If you're an 87-94 collector, there are a few figures aimed at you (Big Boa, Topside, Dice, arguably Jinx). There's Iron Klaw for Extreme fans, Surefire for Collector's Era fans, Barrel Roll for new sculpt fans, Jinx has a touch of Sigma 6 influence, TNT and Quarrel are for international fans, and Nano-BAT is for fans of unreleased figures we knew about.

I ask myself how many collectors cross over enough of those fan bases to want even a majority of the figures. Contrast that with is there any one fan base big enough to support FSS if they were the only target. If this year's theme was filling out all the characters from between 1982 and 1987 who have not been updated, would that sell enough subscriptions? That is if Hasbro even let them. This year alone Hasbro is releasing Airtight, Lineline, Sci-Fi, all the remaining Dreadnoks and all of Slaughter's Renegades.

I know if they released one or two Sigma 6 or Tiger Force inspired modern era figures, it wouldn't be enough to get me to subscribe. I would literally need 10 of the 12 to be exactly what I want before I subscribed. And at that point it's more of a boxed set than subscription line.

I think that Hasbro going back time and time again to the ARAH figures we haven't seen updated tell me that ARAH is probably the single biggest fan base.  Of course I have nothing to base that upon, but the release of more and more updated ARAH figures, Conventions exclusives (ala Zarana, Python Patrol) and a new tooling for the Skystriker.  That seems to me, outside of media driven toys (Movies, Renegades, Resolute), that ARAH is still the driving force, and single biggest group of collectors.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2011, 10:34:54 AM »

Anyhoo, this SureFire is an (expensive) easter egg. I'm not going to get one, but for the people who think it's neat, I'm glad they're getting the fig. I'm sure the 25th Big Lob I'm eagerly anticipating will get made one of these days.

You mean this figure?!!
http://gijoeclub.com/clubexclusives10.cfm#biglob

Nope. I've got that one already. ;)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2011, 09:31:52 AM »

They are starting to show the card art now:

It's alright but just doesn't capture the feel of the original ARAH artwork.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2011, 09:50:01 AM »

THe GIJCC posted their FAQ on the FSS...

G.I. JOE COLLECTORS' CLUB
FIGURE SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE:
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Do I need to be an Officer Level Club member before I can sign-up for the figure subscription service?
A: Yes, you must be an Officer Level member.

Q: If I paid for the Officer Level membership, does that mean that I will be receiving all of the 2012 subscription figures, plus the bonus Footloose figure?
A: No. You have to be an Officer's Level member of the club in order to participate in the Figure Subscription Service. This is an additional charge and we will send everyone an email when it is ready to take orders.

Q: Will payment be on a monthly basis for the monthly 2 figures releases? What if I want to pay for the 12 figures at once?
A: We will ship 2 figures per month for 6 months. The final shipment will have 3 figures. You can pay in full or in 3 installments.

Q: Can you outline shipping discounts on multiple subscription purchases so the buyer knows the costs upfront. I expect that each monthly shipment of 2 figures could be combined with another set of 2 or more for a shipping discount and I want to know how many total subscription figures could be packaged together per monthly shipment and at what cost?
A: Shipping is calculated by total weight. If you have more than one, they will be placed in another larger box together. Only singles ship via the pre-pack shipping box. You will get to pick the service of your choice before you check out. It is not a flat rate but is calculated by the Post Office and the chosen shipping company.

Q: Can we have a service option where we just get the entire 13-figure set shipped to us at the end of the 6 months?
A: No. There is no way we can store that many items for different people. It would cost more. That's why we did 2 figures a month for 6 months instead of a figure a month for 12 months.

Q: How do I make sure to get the free 13th bonus figure?
A: You must subscribe to the FSS for the full six month service period and not miss your selected payment schedule.

Q: Why don't I see my favorite G.I. Joe figure in the FSS offerings?
A: Individual collector interest is varied over many decades of G.I. Joe. We chose the most requested figures that represented the different eras of G.I. Joe and club member interest. The FSS offers a variety of figures that otherwise are not planned to be sold at reatil or appear in a future convention set.

Q: How were the 13 Figure Subscription Service offerings selected?
A: The GIJCC acquired data from our annual G.I. Joe convention surveys as well as from our membership on the Club Forums. We formulated a top twenty list of possible figures that could be produced with available tooling. We then collaborated with the Hasbro G.I. Joe brand team to review characters, deco and mold availability.

Q: Why does Theodore N. Thomas not use T.N.T. as a code name? Also, why does he have a different colored figure stand from the other figures?
A: All GIJCC figures are official releases and require copyright approval. Note: his code name is actually the initials of his full name. Only the South America themed action figures have the steel colored stands.

Q: I want these figures and need to know how to order the FSS?
A: The online ordering system is being finalized. We will send out notification to all GIJCC members and post an update on the website when it is available.

Lurking

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2011, 09:50:52 PM »

Thanks for the Q&A Bandonov!
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!