JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: GI Joe Subscription figures.  (Read 34098 times)

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Subscription figures.
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2011, 10:32:07 PM »

So, it looks like some really great figures, along with some "meh" figures.

Just a warning for those out there who think they will be able to sell off their unwanted figures.  Look at convention exclusives, including Dial-Tone.  There is a limited timeframe for getting at least your money back, and with the club's history of shipping to Canada, I doubt we can take advantage like the US collectors can.  Meaning both in time and cost of shipping.

Also, look at the price.  If you are already a member that at least knocks the price down a bit for you, but let's try and break it down.

First, membership.  $63US for Canadians.

Second, subscription figures.  Looking at the history of the club and exclusive figures, they seem to have settled on $20 a figure, without cards, as a standard.  The chances of that changing for the subscription service are slim.  That said, being generous we can hope for what?  $15 a figure?  So that times 12 is $180 for the full subscription.  That is without shipping!!!  Add in a base of (EXTREMELY generous) $10 per order (time 6 shipments) and you have a grand total of $303 US for someone just coming to the club.  Again that is giving an extreme benefit of the doubt to MC about pricing and shipping to Canada.  So you get 14 figures (if you sign up early and get the free FOOTLOOSE, plus bonus 13th subscription service figure). for somewhere in the range of $300-$400 (not counting possible customs charges as well, though hopefully unlikely).  So it works out to somewhere on the low end of $21.65US to $28.57 on the high end per figure.  Not too bad for exclusives, but it could work out to an even higher total, although I'm not sure if they also charge tax on purchases?  I know they do on con exclusive packages based on which state the con is at that year.

Now when you break it down like that it seems like a pretty solid deal.  Works out to about what a con package set would cost you.  So it should be good overall, but I have said it before.  I am a cynic and I worry that all told, this deal it going to get pricey for Canadians and international collectors.

So looking at the history of convention exclusives, the ARAH "canon" figures should hold their value, and if lucky, go up a bit, but while there are fans out there of most of the choices on the list.  I don't see Nano-BAT, Iron Klaw, Barrel-Roll, non-ARAH Jinx holding their value.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:34:18 PM by canprime »

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2011, 04:01:28 AM »

So, it looks like some really great figures, along with some "meh" figures.

Just a warning for those out there who think they will be able to sell off their unwanted figures.  Look at convention exclusives, including Dial-Tone.  There is a limited timeframe for getting at least your money back, and with the club's history of shipping to Canada, I doubt we can take advantage like the US collectors can.  Meaning both in time and cost of shipping.

Also, look at the price.  If you are already a member that at least knocks the price down a bit for you, but let's try and break it down.

First, membership.  $63US for Canadians.

Second, subscription figures.  Looking at the history of the club and exclusive figures, they seem to have settled on $20 a figure, without cards, as a standard.  The chances of that changing for the subscription service are slim.  That said, being generous we can hope for what?  $15 a figure?  So that times 12 is $180 for the full subscription.  That is without shipping!!!  Add in a base of (EXTREMELY generous) $10 per order (time 6 shipments) and you have a grand total of $303 US for someone just coming to the club.  Again that is giving an extreme benefit of the doubt to MC about pricing and shipping to Canada.  So you get 14 figures (if you sign up early and get the free FOOTLOOSE, plus bonus 13th subscription service figure). for somewhere in the range of $300-$400 (not counting possible customs charges as well, though hopefully unlikely).  So it works out to somewhere on the low end of $21.65US to $28.57 on the high end per figure.  Not too bad for exclusives, but it could work out to an even higher total, although I'm not sure if they also charge tax on purchases?  I know they do on con exclusive packages based on which state the con is at that year.

Now when you break it down like that it seems like a pretty solid deal.  Works out to about what a con package set would cost you.  So it should be good overall, but I have said it before.  I am a cynic and I worry that all told, this deal it going to get pricey for Canadians and international collectors.

So looking at the history of convention exclusives, the ARAH "canon" figures should hold their value, and if lucky, go up a bit, but while there are fans out there of most of the choices on the list.  I don't see Nano-BAT, Iron Klaw, Barrel-Roll, non-ARAH Jinx holding their value.
Well said sir.

I haven't seen enough to take the plunge.  And I could have it shipped to my sister in Va!
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2011, 08:48:11 AM »

And THAT is why they need to stop messing around and give us the price breakdown already. I am starting to think they want to show us all the figures in an attempt to make us really want it and then once we are all hooked and saying "Yes, I want a set", they will hit us with unreasonable pricing.

This is my take on the math:

Right now the minimum shipping charge to Canada is $24.25. I imagine the figures will cost $25 each.

So shipping total would be $145.50 (assuming shipping on the 13th figure is free)

The figures, if $25 each will equal $300.

Not including possible duty taxes OR the annual membership fee I'm think these will cost us $445.50 or $34.27 per figure (again adding in the free 13th figure)

I hope I'm wrong but honestly I see this as a possibility.

Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2011, 10:57:25 AM »

Morgardee just stop.  My cynicism is reaching extreme levels.  (lol)

The more I think about it, the $30+/figure mark seems right.

On another note, it is pretty funny reading some of the other boards.  The two camps are of course arguing for and against.  However the one thing that makes me laugh is the defenders saying Hasbro will never make these figures.  If Hasbro wants to make them they will.  The best example of this is the seekers from the 2007 convention set for TFs.  Everyone was sure hasbro would never make them, and sure enough two years later they made Thrust and we now have all the seekers.

Yes these are cancelled figures, or ones with a slim chance of being made, but never think Hasbro won't make them if it works out for them to do so.

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2011, 02:23:45 PM »

Yeah, the longer they go without revealing a price, the more cynical I get. ;)
Yes these are cancelled figures, or ones with a slim chance of being made, but never think Hasbro won't make them if it works out for them to do so.
But see there's the thing. Don't doubt for a moment Hasbro wouldn't redo any of these if they thought it was worth their while. But, really, the 25th line of GI Joe's not likely to be a big money maker for them at this point. Just my opinion, of course, but I think this is why they've passed the torch to the Club for some of these. I really don't see any of these coming to regular retail for quite a while.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »

Nevermind. If the Jinx is so un-popular, I'll just shell out the $30-50 or whatever required to get it and not bother with the other figs.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2011, 10:12:09 PM »

Nevermind. If the Jinx is so un-popular, I'll just shell out the $30-50 or whatever required to get it and not bother with the other figs.

This time next year, the movie will have come and gone.  That means Hasbro will have released at least 2 or more Jinx figures.  1 of which might be an ARAH tribute/update. 

If the club Jinx is going for more than $30 at that time I will be shocked.  Look at Zarana, the ARAH version is barely going for $30 and that is an accurate update of a character, released in limited quantities, without a movie or possibility of regular retail release.

The club figures, much like their other con exclusive figures, are really only holding value if the character is an identical update to an ARAH figure not done by Hasbro in the past 4 years. 

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »

Next up:

Barrel Roll......

(Sorry, for some reason I can't get a link to post)

Colour me unimpressed.  Way too close to the Tan Grunt to be another figure in the subscription service already.  Also, of the 2 versions to pick, they go with a combination of the 2 instead of the much better colours of version 1.

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2011, 09:02:33 PM »

Barrell Roll is one of the more interesting characters that has come out in recent years, but he looks sooo much better in blue. I was figuring this would be a figure I'd want, certainly not a must have but a figure that would help push me into wanting the subscription. But nope, not a fan of the tan, so it pushes me further the other way. At this point, it's pretty much guaranteed I'm out, and if Cover Girl turns out nice, I'll have to bite the bullet and try and get her on her own. At this point, I'm really hoping she's some random version like jinx.  :P

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2011, 12:03:48 AM »

Barrell Roll is one of the more interesting characters that has come out in recent years, but he looks sooo much better in blue. I was figuring this would be a figure I'd want, certainly not a must have but a figure that would help push me into wanting the subscription. But nope, not a fan of the tan, so it pushes me further the other way. At this point, it's pretty much guaranteed I'm out, and if Cover Girl turns out nice, I'll have to bite the bullet and try and get her on her own. At this point, I'm really hoping she's some random version like jinx.  :P
I was looking forward to Barrel Roll too, but an not impressed.  Blue was much better - as most have already said.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2011, 08:36:40 AM »

Here's the picture of Barrel Roll:

I'm sort of "meh" on this one.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2011, 11:09:53 AM »

Hey Morgardee, how did you get it to post?

I tried the URL and IMG and I could never get it to post, it would just run and then time out.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12