JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: GI Joe Subscription figures.  (Read 34107 times)

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Subscription figures.
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2011, 01:51:51 PM »

Well today we should find out the prices. It's looking like $20 - $25 per figure:

G.I. Joe Collectors' Club I think THIS is the way it will go down...

1. The final figure reveals THIS week!

2. At some point afterwards (days not hours), when it is ready... the sub service page will go live. ALL the details including pricing will be on that site. The price PER FIGURE will most likely not be less than $20 and not more than $25. (Remember carded Dial-Tone sold for $25, the goal for the sub is to be less expensive than that. These figures are EXPENSIVE to make with new parts on many and TONS of paint deco, but we are doing the best we can to keep the price down.) There will be more than one payment option - details to come.

3. Subscriptions will be accepted for 4 weeks from OFFICER LEVEL MEMBERS. You can have multiple subscription. They will ship bundled to save shipping for the subscriber.

4. After 4 weeks subscriptions will no longer be accepted.

5. It is possible there will be SOME individual pieces of SOME of the figures available DOWN THE ROAD, most likely they will be sold for a premium to non-subscribers IF we have them. Final production numbers will be dictated by the number of subscriptions, so these will be LIMITED and will probably bring high prices on the secondary market - even the ones YOU don't like.

NONE of this is set in stone and reflects what I am hearing. These details are ALL subject to change as we move forward.

PLEASE do not share this on the internet. I am going out on a limb and these DETAILS MIGHT CHANGE and probably will

Be nice... please?

P.S. The poll here was NOT a vote for the next batch of sub figures. I hope if you saw the poll, you can see how diverse the wants of the fans are and how difficult it is to please everyone.

Thank you, that's all that I know and it is NOT FOR SURE.

What I don't get is why they say don't share this on the internet when it's posted on their facebook page. It's not like I have an "inside" source. It's from them, on the internet, so yes, I copied it.

The reason why this is might be problematic in propagating is because there's a vocal segment of the collecting population that LOVES to loudly castigate the Club at every turn, and "pricing info" that may OR MAY NOT be set gives them ammunition to criticize the Club. There's only a couple thousand people, at best, interested enough in this project to sign up--so every screeching, bellicose voice out there claiming "its too expensive" can turn off/away someone that might be otherwise interested enough in the subscription. It doesn't help matters, and the Club staff obviously really dislike having to put out fires and BS rumours about pricing when its NOT set in stone.
I mean......its clear they are trying to nickel and dime this thing down as far as they can to make it work for the members.
Its not a conspiracy to rip people off ( oh c'mon!) its not greedy business practises......they would have set a price months ago and stuck by it if they didn't give a crap about the membership.
There's simply a number of people who are too cheap, petty and fickle to pay out for this stuff and so they are bound and determined to spoil( or just sour) it for the rest.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »

Figure 11 is Cover Girl...

Lurking

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2011, 03:08:23 PM »

Yep, Cover Girl is up. That just leaves Big Boa.

She looks a lot like the 2011 convention Sparta except she has the jacket from the Cover Girl fans choice comic pack:

FSS Cover Girl:

GIJCC 2011 Sparta:

Fans Choice Comic Pack Cover Girl:

Reminds me of the Simpsons, "Malibu Stacy with a new hat".  ;) Cover Girl has a new belt.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:13:15 PM by morgardee »
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2011, 03:17:02 PM »

not bad, I like the idea of the blonde look (might be the resolution on my screen but does her hair color look kinda strawberry blonde?, kind of a mix between redhead and blonde which is a good compromise if it is).  But I actually like my Sparta better for some reason even though its almost exactly the same cept for the coat.  But I still like this figure though. 

\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2011, 03:35:25 PM »

The way Im kind of judging these figures is if I would pay the premium for them. All the figures so far, ignoring the price point, are all decent actually. But you gotta judge by price point sometimes.

Here is what I think so far. Y means I would pay the premium, N means I would not. Its not an exact science but I kinda use this to for which way I lean on the fence for subscribing.

Quarrel - N (we already got an international repaint of scarlet with new tooling and gear in Glenda/Pilot Scarlett, and it didn't cost us a premium...2nd worst of the line)
Nano Bat - Y (at first I hated it but its grown on me a bit, I just really dig the green translucent plastic)
Top Side - Y (Its a safe simple figure, but its of a more obscure character which wins points for me)
Dice - Y (Good translation, all the parts were there and they realized it)
Grunt - N (We already got a grunt...and this one isn't that huge a step above that one, it actually uses most of the same parts. This is the worst of the line IMO, waste of a character slot)
Iron Klaw - Y (Yes yes yes, brining in a new/old character into the mix is fantastic)
Jinx - Y (Its not the classic but I like this updated look)
Barrel Roll - N (I hate the color scheme they chose and the way the helmet looks, it had potential to be better IMO)
TnT - N (This is actually more neutral for me, I wouldn't mind having him but wouldn't miss not having him)
Surefire - N (I like it but I don't think the colors work for me, like TnT this is more of a neutral one.)
Covergirl - Y (much needed modern style figure of a more popular classic character)

As you can see Im still on the fence, pretty much split downt he middle. I have a feeling Ill pull the trigger though as there are figures I really want in the line up.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2011, 05:05:14 PM »

I keep hearing Bob Uecker(?) from Major League when he calls the pitch "just a bit outside" when it was way wide.

I like the figure, like most of the choices, but not enough to justify the cost.

Specifically with Cover Girl, I like most of it but not the head.  As others have said they did Sparta last year which is almost the exact same.  Also, personally the short brown hair version is the most iconic to me, and that was what I was hoping for with this figure.  It's just personal choice.  However for the price  I want the one I want.  I know that sounds stupid but it isn't meant as I think I am right.  I just look at it from a cost perspective. 

In ROC we got a reimagining of Charbroil that was pretty great and close.  Especially since it cost less than retail!!!!!!!  On the flip side I overpaid for ARAH Zarana, but I don't mind since to me it was so close to the original that I was ok with the price.  Covergirl just doesn't do it for me.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2011, 07:28:41 PM »

They used the same freaking head from Sparta for Cover Girl = come on man.  Hugely disappointed in this.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2011, 10:16:29 PM »

Not a fan of the blonde hair at all. It just doesn't look right. Cover Girl is a brunette. Otherwise, not bad, but I dunno, there might be something else off for me... just not sure. Either way, that seals it for me; no subscription. And cover girl is just off enough for me that I probably won't try and track one down. It also leaves the door open for hasbro to make a proper brunette one down the road without stepping on the toes of the club. I'll probably hold out hope for that. Won't hold my breath, but I can hope. :)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2011, 08:33:38 AM »

Some of the conversations I've had with the GIJCC on facebook:

Why is it the DTC 2 pack of or Outback and Night Viper together cost $28.99? That includes new sculpted parts, different, multi layered colour camos and GIJCC exclusive card art. These were cancelled items that the club had made. Outback was going to have a white shirt but it was changed black by the GIJCC, so you can't say these were already in Hasbro's inventory, or am I the only one who remembers that set?: http://www.gijoeclub.com/shop/index.cfm?do=detail&productid=1694.
20 hours ago ยท Like

They replied:

Club The DTC figures were already tooled. We did a few deco revisions and edited the art. It was an 'almost' existing product. On top of that, manufacturing in China is now more expensive that it was then. Materials and labor cost more from China, now, than before. Also the new figures have more articulation and therefore more parts. This means more mold cavities and more assembly.

My follow up:

So are you saying that the GIJCC had parts made / tooled themselves from scratch? Parts that were not already tooled by Hasbro and then passed over? Just trying to understand the full details.

They responded:

‎@Dave- For the sub figures? Yes.

From me again:

Now that is something you should make in the news letter (before the 4 weeks for the FSS is up). People should know which pieces the GIJCC had made for themselves. It adds another level of respect to the project.

No reply from them after that. So my question is, besides Top Side, what parts are new that the GIJCC tooled? I sure hope they didn't waste money tooling a head for Sure Fire to make him look like David Lane. That would be the ultimate elitist move. I wasn't thrilled to have a David Lane action figure before but at least it didn't look like the guy. Now I see Sure Fire has the same facial hair. Don't make your toys look like you. It really gives a "I'm better then you" message to the collectors.

BTW, if you win a contest and have your likeness used that is a totally different story.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2011, 10:00:26 AM »

I wasn't thrilled to have a David Lane action figure before but at least it didn't look like the guy. Now I see Sure Fire has the same facial hair. Don't make your toys look like you. It really gives a "I'm better then you" message to the collectors.

Wha????

How does somebody get to this kind of thought? I don't get that kind of message AT ALL.
The character needs a face, use what's around for the face. If its a fellow collector...a friend, or someone with an interesting mug, then use 'em.

Sorry, but the idea of "status" being in a sculpt is all in the head of the beholder, not in the subject.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2011, 10:58:08 AM »

I wasn't thrilled to have a David Lane action figure before but at least it didn't look like the guy. Now I see Sure Fire has the same facial hair. Don't make your toys look like you. It really gives a "I'm better then you" message to the collectors.

Wha????

How does somebody get to this kind of thought? I don't get that kind of message AT ALL.
The character needs a face, use what's around for the face. If its a fellow collector...a friend, or someone with an interesting mug, then use 'em.

Sorry, but the idea of "status" being in a sculpt is all in the head of the beholder, not in the subject.

Hasbro did the same thing originally with ARAH.  Of course it was a kid's toy line back then and it was part of hundreds of retail figures.  Even recently they have done contests to have fans/collector's/kids faces on figures. 

If I was actually serious about getting the subscription, then I would be pretty pissed off if the club used their budget to create new tooling for a new head of an "employee shout" out for this service, instead of a new head for Cover Girl, or new parts for other characters to better update.  However if it is an already existing head then whatever.  Has anyone found out what head was actually used?

Again, personally I would leave "shout outs" or whatever, ESPECIALLY FOR EMPLOYEES OF THE CLUB, for a later date if the subscription service goes well.  Asking collector's to part with $20+ per figure, and then having one of those figures be an inside joke/back slap is just another bad decision. 

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2011, 01:53:48 PM »

Again, personally I would leave "shout outs" or whatever, ESPECIALLY FOR EMPLOYEES OF THE CLUB, for a later date if the subscription service goes well.  Asking collector's to part with $20+ per figure, and then having one of those figures be an inside joke/back slap is just another bad decision. 
But using a character that can utilize a great deal of existing tooling, but just happens to be a character that uses a real person's likeness is a "bad" decision??
Even if a character that has already been done that way before?
Would making him..........oh, I guess suddenly African-American, appease those that object? Because right there the offending inside joke would be gone.

Seriously, if fans don't "get what THEY want" in this sort of thing........does anyone get to win?