JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: GI Joe Series 2  (Read 4200 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
GI Joe Series 2
« on: January 14, 2012, 08:12:32 AM »

Got my copy of G.I. Joe series 2 yesterday (by Dic).

It's real corny but not as bad as I remembered. Maybe it's because I'm watching it with my 5 year old. I also thought the into was different but it's not that far off the original opening song. A few words are changed like "International Hero" instead of "American hero" and a few other things like that.

Looks like Sgt Slaughter is in charge and Slaughters Marauders take a main role.

It's cheesy but I'm enjoying it.

That and I got it for me, so that helps.  ;) 
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Series 2
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:58:53 AM »

Thank goodness for Chef Morgardee! Where did you find your copy of the box set if I may ask?
2 + 2 = 22

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »

Thank goodness for Chef Morgardee!
  ;D

I had a free $40 gift certificate from Amazon.com so I cashed it and got a book for my son. And if anyone was wondering, Hairy Maclary And Zachary Quack is great read, for a five year old.  ;)

http://www.amazon.ca/Hairy-Maclary-Zachary-Quack-Lynley/dp/0141330961/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326569687&sr=1-6

Kidding aside, Amazon is a good place to shop:

http://www.amazon.ca/G-I-Joe-S1-Michael-Benyaer/dp/B005SQRYJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326569821&sr=8-1

It's worth adding it to your collection. The picture and sound quality is great, unlike those bootlegs that were floating around a few years back.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 09:03:59 AM »

Found it this morning at Walmart (Kennedy/Sheppard) for $21.93.

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:55:53 AM »

I grabbed my copy at Walmart this past Wednesday.  It is corny and cheesy, but hey... it's G.I. Joe.

I have a bootleg copy of the complete series already, but I am glad to get my hands on an official version of the show.  I hope the second part of the series comes out soon.

The interesting note is the insert that came with the DVD promoting other Shout box sets coming out.  On there Mask The Complete series is listed.  Has anybody heard about it yet, or has it been released?  I would like to get my hands on that series as well.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:56:43 AM »

Thanks will go there after work
Lurking

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 10:34:11 AM »

I grabbed my copy at Walmart this past Wednesday.  It is corny and cheesy, but hey... it's G.I. Joe.

I have a bootleg copy of the complete series already, but I am glad to get my hands on an official version of the show.  I hope the second part of the series comes out soon.

The interesting note is the insert that came with the DVD promoting other Shout box sets coming out.  On there Mask The Complete series is listed.  Has anybody heard about it yet, or has it been released?  I would like to get my hands on that series as well.

The complete series is already out.  I only found it at HMV, nowhere else.  It was around $70. 

To be honest, it isn't really worth the price.  I know we all say that these shows don't hold up to our childhood memories, but M.A.S.K. makes GI Joe and Transformers look like Shakespeare!!!!  The writing, dialogue, storylines and voice acting are all really bad!!  The best part of the show is the theme song!!!  It was really disappointing to see how truly bad a show it was, considering how great the toys were.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 10:35:36 AM »

Thanks will go there after work

Check out your local Walmarts, the copy I picked up this morning was the only one they had on the shelves so I don't know if they have more at that location.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 10:36:58 AM »

Thanks again, canprime!
Lurking

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 11:23:19 AM »

I use Amazon a lot for stuff like this:

http://www.amazon.ca/M-S-K-Complete-Doug-Stone/dp/B004ZKKL14/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326730939&sr=8-2

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »

http://hmv.ca/Stores/StoreStock.aspx?SKU=623367

I just checked stock with my local HMV and MASK is in stock for $69.99. 

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »

I've been able to take out some time to watch this show. I'm about eight episodes in. I really enjoyed the Operation: Dragonfire story arc. As hokey as it is, there was a playfulness about it all that I was able to appreciate. Plus, who wasn't happy to see Cobra Commander come back from being a snake?

I haven't been as satisfied with the rest of the series. The "United We Stand" episode is probably the worst piece of G.I. Joe programming I've ever seen. Given that it was written by the same fellow (Tony Zalewski) who wrote "Chunnel", which I remember being especially bad, I shouldn't be surprised. I can only assume he thought he was writing for a much younger demographic? It really didn't come anywhere near "military fantasy."

The other episodes revolving around Night Creeper Leader as a Pharoah and Metal Head's grandmother provided some level of entertainment which is really all I was expecting from the show. So it's good that "United We Stand" was an anomaly.

Still, it's good to see the 1990/1991 Joes in action. I never got to see the DIC show much as a kid because of its odd airtime. I plan on sticking it out and watching the whole thing. I'll post more as I get to them.