JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Ahhh, nothing like an uptight mom to sour a nice day.  (Read 7355 times)

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
Ahhh, nothing like an uptight mom to sour a nice day.
« on: May 12, 2012, 06:19:01 PM »

So I was looking through a local Zellers

Most are now 40-70% off all stuff.  The toys are 40% off.  So while checking out the selection that is left, I managed to score one more ROC RHINO for $18 after the discount ($20.34 after tax).   

So, I'm walking and a woman is there with her 5-6 year old.  They are looking at Star Wars and a couple other things.  Then I hear the kid ask about an item.  This is when I hear the woman say "I will never buy GI Joe because it promotes war"

I am not ashamed to say that it actually stung a little to hear that about a brand I grew up with and loved as a kid, and now as an adult.  I get wanting to raise your child as you see fit, but I hate that she boils it all down to a simple thought.  If you asked her to think about most of the toys her son will/does like, most are based around conflict and violence.  Hell SW is rife with fighting, and killing!!!!! in Clone Wars.  But of course GI Joe is the bad one she'll never buy.

Ugh, just soured an otherwise nice day.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Ahhh, nothing like an uptight mom to sour a nice day.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 02:08:19 AM »

stupid moo.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:44:40 AM »

So I was looking through a local Zellers

Most are now 40-70% off all stuff.  The toys are 40% off.  So while checking out the selection that is left, I managed to score one more ROC RHINO for $18 after the discount ($20.34 after tax).   

So, I'm walking and a woman is there with her 5-6 year old.  They are looking at Star Wars and a couple other things.  Then I hear the kid ask about an item.  This is when I hear the woman say "I will never buy GI Joe because it promotes war"

I am not ashamed to say that it actually stung a little to hear that about a brand I grew up with and loved as a kid, and now as an adult.  I get wanting to raise your child as you see fit, but I hate that she boils it all down to a simple thought.  If you asked her to think about most of the toys her son will/does like, most are based around conflict and violence.  Hell SW is rife with fighting, and killing!!!!! in Clone Wars.  But of course GI Joe is the bad one she'll never buy.

Ugh, just soured an otherwise nice day.

You're looking at it the wrong way. One day, that same kid will rebel against his Mom by buying G.I. Joe toys. Just you wait!

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 11:17:27 AM »

Why let someone else's thinking spoil your mood?  There's tens of thousands of unseen people that think just like that mom, some even more stridently and "militantly" (ironic that). So she doesn't want her kid to play with the toys, big deal.
Look at it another way, she might object to a toy you love, but she is trying to promote ideas and values in her kid's head that are..........well, somewhat beneficial to society.
I say just go right on loving what you love and forget about those that don't like it.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 01:01:08 PM »

Why let someone else's thinking spoil your mood?  There's tens of thousands of unseen people that think just like that mom, some even more stridently and "militantly" (ironic that). So she doesn't want her kid to play with the toys, big deal.
Look at it another way, she might object to a toy you love, but she is trying to promote ideas and values in her kid's head that are..........well, somewhat beneficial to society.
I say just go right on loving what you love and forget about those that don't like it.

Yeah, yeah, relax I'm not saying it was the end of the world, just a bummer to hear that out of the blue.  Especially since my own sister was the same way with religion and Halloween and Christmas.  Her kids couldn't celebreate Halloween because it was "evil" and Christmas was only about the birth of Jesus, contrary to everything else surrounding the holiday that was celebrated by their friends. 

She finally relented when the kids started coming out with mixed up notions and she realized she was probably screwing them up somewhat.  Such as Jesus brought the presents, or the devil poisoned candy on Halloween.  I have no doubt the GI Joe mom will eventually mellow as well.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 02:15:35 PM »

Hallowe'en is the Evil Christian Church hijacking a Pagan holiday, just like Easter and Christmas.

and really, Hallowe'en is just All Hallow's Eve, the day before All Saints' Day.

so, yeah.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »

I bought a guy's entire Joe collection because he didn't want his kids to have Joe's because it promotes war.

The guy's father (the Grandpa for this story) was heartbroken because he spent countless hours, assembling the vehicles and painstakingly applying the decals.  The Grandpa was very upset and was proud when I told him I am a collector, and not a reseller.

Afterwards I found out the son was pissed off because I paid $300 for the collection, when he thought it was worth at least $700.

Funny... the guy doesn't want his kids playing with toys that "promote" war, but he was also upset that he didn't make extra money off those "war" toys.  ;)

I can see where the parents are coming from.  If they don't want their kids to play Joe, then it's their choice.  Unfortunately for me right now my kids aren't interested in G.I. Joe (which they were) and now I have to pack up all their stuff before they trash it.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »

I bought a guy's entire Joe collection because he didn't want his kids to have Joe's because it promotes war.

The guy's father (the Grandpa for this story) was heartbroken because he spent countless hours, assembling the vehicles and painstakingly applying the decals.  The Grandpa was very upset and was proud when I told him I am a collector, and not a reseller.

Afterwards I found out the son was pissed off because I paid $300 for the collection, when he thought it was worth at least $700.

Funny... the guy doesn't want his kids playing with toys that "promote" war, but he was also upset that he didn't make extra money off those "war" toys.  ;)

I can see where the parents are coming from.  If they don't want their kids to play Joe, then it's their choice.  Unfortunately for me right now my kids aren't interested in G.I. Joe (which they were) and now I have to pack up all their stuff before they trash it.

I think your kids are what it boils down to after all.  Like with my sister and that woman, you can try and hide your kids from things you don't like or agree with, however they are more adaptable than we give them credit for.  The things we think will harm them are stuff they forget about a day later. 

Emags

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 12:11:36 AM »

Sounds like it worked out well in the end.  The Joes went to someone who appreciates them.  My father was in the US Navy for 20 years.  I never had a negative feeling about collecting them.  Actually, it made it even more fun b/c he could tell me what was real and what was a bit science fiction (e.g. laser rifle troopers, and such). 

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 08:56:59 AM »

Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 12:10:51 PM »

Ah yes.  UHF!  Loved it!

Another way to cope.  Was the mom hot?  Just saying............
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 12:23:55 PM »

Ah yes.  UHF!  Loved it!

Another way to cope.  Was the mom hot?  Just saying............

I'm sure she is TONNES of fun, if you catch my drift..... Just saying.