JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Ahhh, nothing like an uptight mom to sour a nice day.  (Read 7327 times)

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Ahhh, nothing like an uptight mom to sour a nice day.
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »

Ah yes.  UHF!  Loved it!

Another way to cope.  Was the mom hot?  Just saying............

I'm sure she is TONNES of fun, if you catch my drift..... Just saying.
What I meant to add before adding the post as my PC crapped out was just make casual talk.

But really - don't let it sour your mood.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »

I don't think there are any "action" figures out there that don't promote violence in some form.  That's why they're "action" figures. 

Poor misguided lady.  If it weren't for the real heroes that GI Joes play tribute to she wouldn't have the freedom to make that choice for her son. 
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 01:22:55 PM »

Ah yes.  UHF!  Loved it!

Another way to cope.  Was the mom hot?  Just saying............

I'm sure she is TONNES of fun, if you catch my drift..... Just saying.
What I meant to add before adding the post as my PC crapped out was just make casual talk.

But really - don't let it sour your mood.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Yeah it was just a one day thing, time to move on and fret over another insignificant thing.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 01:33:46 PM »

My sister in law (who is great) tries to comtrol how much violence my nephew sees.  What she doesn't know is that when they leave him alone with the TV he flips it to things like the Walking Dead.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 03:34:01 PM »

Hallowe'en is the Evil Christian Church hijacking a Pagan holiday, just like Easter and Christmas.

Point could of been made without adding "Christian" to the comment. Please refrain from bringing any religious beliefs, comments, or disagreements out of all board discussions. Thank you.

Sundance, I'm sure it was very innocently done. We all have our own beliefs (or lack of) and that's fine - to each their own. Just please (everyone) leave them off the boards.

Back on topic.

I once had a lady tell me that I was a bad person for selling Joes - because it promoted war. I asked her how the Ninja's promote war within G.I. Joe?... She had no answer. She then turned her attention to Superman, stating he gives kids a false sense of flight......

I asked the kid looking at the Star Wars stuff if he liked Superman - he said yes. I asked him if he thought he could fly because of Superman. The kid gave me a look like I was the crazy one and said "NO".

I looked back at the lady, and she left in a huff.

Seriously... there's a lot of idiotic people out there that believe their point of view if the only one and the correct one. All this lady did, was convince her son that he'll have to go play G.I. Joe and other "violent" type things at his friends house now.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:40:45 PM by THE Mikeā„¢ »

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 04:43:36 PM »

I once had a lady tell me that I was a bad person for selling Joes - because it promoted war. I asked her how the Ninja's promote war within G.I. Joe?... She had no answer. She then turned her attention to Superman, stating he gives kids a false sense of flight......

I asked the kid looking at the Star Wars stuff if he liked Superman - he said yes. I asked him if he thought he could fly because of Superman. The kid gave me a look like I was the crazy one and said "NO".

I looked back at the lady, and she left in a huff.

Seriously... there's a lot of idiotic people out there that believe their point of view if the only one and the correct one. All this lady did, was convince her son that he'll have to go play G.I. Joe and other "violent" type things at his friends house now.

And the unfortunate, safe, assumption we can make is that these are knee-jerk reactions that people just parrot because they've never really though about this stuff before on their own. Putting forth an opinion they've heard before from someone else is the easiest way to say something without actually thinking about it. Someone else says its bad, therefore it must be bad. Right? Right??? Its a bit scary when it comes to establishing values in someone, especially a young someone. Just saying "something" doesn't give it value, or truth even....and it can steer thinking the wrong ways.
But I digress.

I've been castigated by strangers and other around me for my likes, interests and toy collecting hobby. The big issue people seem to have veers from what the items are ( their themes--violence, war, etc) to my "maturity-level" in choosing to collect them to the costs of collecting.
My stock answer now is to ask them if it would be more mature and social to spend my disposable income on cocaine, tobacco, booze, prostitutes or gambling.
I suspect it doesn't really get them to thinking about it much, but it does tend to shut them up.

Oreobuilder

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 09:58:10 AM »

There have been independant studies on the subject of war toys on children. A few years ago, one extensive study (I can't find the link at the moment) showed that boys playing war, if properly guided by their parents, actually turn out to be gentler adults than those kids that do not play war. The reason (at least the hypothesis) is that playing war allows children to internalize/understand the concept of violence. This makes them more peaceful, less violent adults. The kids that don't play war, don't learn about violence when they are young and so tend to want to explore it when they are older. They tend to become more beligerent adults.

That is what the study said. Obviously, they look for patterns, there are always exceptions and the research is always ongoing...

In a nutshell, playing with Joes is good  :)

OB

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 11:59:56 AM »

you also have to watch for how the study was conducted. sometimes people start out with an idea in mind (violent toys make kids violent or violent toys don't make kids violent) and then try to make sure their results fit their criteria.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Eradicator

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 04:54:09 PM »

I think it comes down to how you teach your children about the subject. If you totally ignore it they are not learning about it and other related aspects of the subject. I believe that is ok for children to be exposed to this kind of stuff. It is how you educate them on the views and various consequences of real war that is beneficial. I find that in life the more a person knows and learns the more open they are open to other view points. In my job I always tell my customers that the more they know about what I am selling them the better it is for everyone involved. After all knowing is half the battle.