JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Questions for Toronto Subway (TTC) Riders  (Read 3612 times)

Blitzkrieg

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Questions for Toronto Subway (TTC) Riders
« on: July 29, 2012, 09:52:45 PM »

Hi All,

For the first time, I'll be flying in one day before the convention so that I can visit downtown Toronto. I'd like to avoid driving into the city, so I was thinking of taking the subway in. Based on my assessment, it looks like Kipling is the closest station to the convention hotel.

Regarding Kipling station...

I can see that there is parking available at the station (I am renting a car), but is parking a problem after a certain hour (i.e., lack of spaces)? Or is it only available for regular commuters?

Is there an issue with car break-ins at train stations (or this one in particular)?

I don't have a debit card or a chip card, so will I have a problem paying for parking or my ticket?

Do you just buy your ticket at a vending machine and get on board? Does someone check tickets or is there a turnstyle to go through?

Can you buy a day pass (multiple trips on the same ticket)?

Is the GO Transit system somehow different from the regular TTC system?

Downtown Toronto Questions:

I would like to go to the area around the Eaton Town Centre, so am I correct that it is Queen station where I should get out?

How easy is it to transfer between the green line and the yellow line?

Is Union Station the closest station to the CN Tower? If so, can I walk to it from there?

Only because of the Colorado movie theater shooting did I hear about a shooting in the Toronto Eaton Town Centre food court. Is crime an issue in downtown Toronto, or is violent crime like that an isolated incident?

Speaking of crime, how prevalent are non-violent crimes like pickpocketing in downtown and/or on the subway?

Whichever questions you can answer above for this newbie traveler, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Blitzkrieg

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Toronto Subway (TTC) Riders
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 12:42:14 AM »

I can see that there is parking available at the station (I am renting a car), but is parking a problem after a certain hour (i.e., lack of spaces)? Or is it only available for regular commuters?
First come, first serve.  Plus the Kilping station parking lots are huge.
http://www.ttc.ca/Subway/Stations/Kipling/station.jsp#Parking_

I don't have a debit card or a chip card, so will I have a problem paying for parking or my ticket?
I am not sure whether the TTC has implemented the chip card technology for ticket purchases; but highly unlikely parking as I have yet to see this anywhere in Toronto.  But I would get some Canadian cash to avoid a potential hassle. 

Is there an issue with car break-ins at train stations (or this one in particular)?
If you rent a car with truck that you hide all your stuff in (i.e. a like a sedan), you will be fine.  Never rent a hatch back or any other car where you can see into the back of the car and into the trunk area.   

Do you just buy your ticket at a vending machine and get on board? Does someone check tickets or is there a turnstyle to go through?
You can buy your pass or tokens at a ticket booth.  You go through a turnstyle or gate system all stations. 

Can you buy a day pass (multiple trips on the same ticket)?
Yes, a day pass is available.

http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Passes/Day_Pass/index.jsp

Worth if you have to use the train more than 4 times in a day.

Is the GO Transit system somehow different from the regular TTC system?
Two totally different systems.  The GO is a train and/bus system only and is primary used by people who live in the suburbs.  I use it for going into downtown Toronto.  It has no affiliation with the TTC.

Having looked at the Kipling Go station schedule, the Kipling GO station is only useful during the morning commute.  Any other time, the train and/or will not stop at that station to head into Union.

http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/PDF/Timetables/CurrentBoard/Table21.pdf

As such, you can only use the TTC in your case.

I would like to go to the area around the Eaton Town Centre, so am I correct that it is Queen station where I should get out?
Queen or Dundas.  The Toronto Eaton Centre takes up a block, in between those two streets.

How easy is it to transfer between the green line and the yellow line?
I assuming this is in regards to the TTC subway lines? 
http://www.ttc.ca/Subway/interactivemap.jsp

If so, it may get confusing for a newbie transferring from one subway line to another.  Just try and remember south bound train going to the next stop (Wellesley).

Is Union Station the closest station to the CN Tower? If so, can I walk to it from there?
Union station it is.  It's around 10 minute walk outside or inside via the Skywalk route.  Just walk along Bloor Street West heading west and you will be fine. You can't miss a tower.

Only because of the Colorado movie theater shooting did I hear about a shooting in the Toronto Eaton Town Centre food court. Is crime an issue in downtown Toronto, or is violent crime like that an isolated incident?
For that area, it was an isolated incident.  Most of my downtown Toronto inspection work is in that area and I have never had a concern about my safety.  Now stuff does happen in the club district to the southwest (in the area of Richmond Street and John Street), but that is at night and far enough away from the Eaton Centre area. 

Stay away from Jane/Finch.  It's not in downtown but still. 

Speaking of crime, how prevalent are non-violent crimes like pickpocketing in downtown and/or on the subway?
Nobody that I know, including myself, has been a victim to any downtown crime or on the subway.  But you need to stay vigilant.  Can't guarantee that won't happen. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:47:33 AM by Pete The Greek »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Blitzkrieg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 10:36:36 AM »

Pete,

Thank you for your thorough response in answering all of my questions. This information is very helpful!

Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 06:53:10 PM »

Hopefully, one last question...

How do you pay/verify your parking? (For example, is there a booth at the front with a gate where you pay and you just pick an open spot? Do you pay at a vending machine and type in your spot number? Do you pay at a machine that prints out a ticket for you to place on your dashboard?)

Thanks in advance,

Blitzkrieg

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »

How do you pay/verify your parking? (For example, is there a booth at the front with a gate where you pay and you just pick an open spot? Do you pay at a vending machine and type in your spot number? Do you pay at a machine that prints out a ticket for you to place on your dashboard?)

Thanks in advance,

Blitzkrieg

Not a 100% sure.  But most of the TTC lots I have used is what I have bolded. 

Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Blitzkrieg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 06:04:42 PM »

Thanks in advance,

Blitzkrieg

Not a 100% sure.  But most of the TTC lots I have used is what I have bolded.

Pete,

Thanks for your timely guidance.

Blitzkrieg