JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: What can we talk about today ?  (Read 5876 times)

g.ijoecollecter3400

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • where not worthy
    • View Profile
What can we talk about today ?
« on: August 17, 2013, 11:53:53 AM »

I have been meaning to bring up this next subject for a while now.

Back in 2007 i was collecting all kinds of toy lines just because they where toys and they held some value. But i was always a g.i joe guy @ heart. I'd buy toyfare magazine and drool over the new 25th ann. line that was just coming out. And i wanted to collect it so bad. But living on your own @ 20, working minimum job dosent allow much room for collecting money. Didn't even have a computer to even be able to look on ebay @ the stuff i couldn't afford. LOL.

But anyway, when i seen the 25th ann. collection for the first time i thought to myself "" this is awesome!, for the first time in 20 yrs you can buy a carded g.i joe figure that actually looks like a g.i joe figure ( by that i mean the card through back to the orange/yellow/flash background ). And the figures actually looks like the original, in way better detail. And you can get the figures for 10$-15$ instead of paying 50$ - 200$ for the original ''  I thought it was the best thing Hasbro ever released.

And i remember one of reasons i could never collect the line was because a lot of other people MUST have thought it was the greatest thing too because the prices on the 25th stuff just went through the roof !!!!!!

You guys remember 400$ for a pimp daddy destro days...?  EH...? 

Now 7 years latter after the 25th ann. line first appeared, and i have a good job. I can actually afford to collect it. But it seams like so many people have left this line in the dust...?  Am i missing something here...? ( i think maybe my mind is stuck on the 25th line because i wanted it so bad for so long, that i just cant break out and go one to something else till i have collected the whole thing ) Most of the figures are on par with the modern stuff. With 30th ann. being slightly more detailed. But i guess you just cant compare because

1. vintage is vintage ( its the original, but very pricey )
2. 90's stuff was too cartoony ( some good figures where in thee though, but still very affordable)
3. 25th ann. is an awesome recreation of the vintage stuff. ( more detailed, affordable )
4. movie/30th ann. ( very detailed, very affordable )

It seams like 90% of joe collecters these days are either 1. or 4.
And the only people that go after the 2. and 3. stuff is collecters who collect 1. 2. 3. and 4. together. LOL.

Anyway, you guys have listened to me go on about my favorite line....
Id like to hear what you guys think is the best g.i joe stuff and why.........?

( just giving you guys something to read @ work ) LOL   ;D
I oppened the drawer and there it was "" GONE ""

g.ijoecollecter3400

• where not worthy
    • View Profile
Re: What can we talk about today ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »

Afterthought:  I asked a guy the other day " do you collect 25th ann. '' he replied '' No, i only collect modern stuff "
So my question is where exactly do we draw the line on the modern stuff  ?  r.o.c...?  p.o.c...?
Is there a certain amount of time ( 5 years back for example ) that constitutes modern...?

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 12:22:37 PM »

anything not ARAH is 'modern' to me. anything in G3 style articulation is 'modern sculpt'
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 12:35:46 PM »

I just collect what I like.  Mostly my collecting has slowed down dramatically. I still love the old school stuff the best put the prices just aren't affordable to me with all of life's other commitments, unlike many others, I don't even care about condition . If i do pick up anything its something that reminds me of the old school toys that I never owned. So no movie figures unless that figure is too cool to pass up.  So really I have no method to my collecting besides "I want that", and that I can find it mostly in store.

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 01:31:05 PM »

This is what I consider the ModernEra stuff (25th anniversary, RoC, PoC, 30th anniversary, Retaliation)

New Sculpt Era (Joe Vs Cobra, Spytroops, Valor Vs Venom, DTC)

ARAH (Vintage 82-94, ARAH Collection 97-2002, ARAH repaints that were available during the New Sculpt Era ie. Toys R Us 6-packs..comic 3-packs etc..)

..and you have the other lines that I don't really consider a part of the main series (Sgt Savage, Extreme, Sigma 6, Kre-O and all those babyish lines..

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »

1. Disagree with you on this point, depending on what you're looking for in ARAH that is, and depending if one is a completist. Most of the loose items are still relatively affordable for their age, when put next to Modern Era counterparts. Keep in mind, this was an era in which Gi joe had a much bigger worldwide distribution, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone came up with statistics showing that product was made in 10 to 100 times the amount that Hasbro makes nowadays. Like I said, it all depends what you're looking for, unless you're into sealed ARAH items from 82-90, then yes, I agree with you totally that the ARAH stuff is more expensive to collect. It also depends where one is geographically situated, so you beeing here on the boards, is perhaps the first big step in learning where to buy from and do some interesting savings on the long run.

2. 90's stuff rocks in my books. If you were into superheroes, superfreaks, monster figures (and monstrously disproportioned figures by extension LOL), then this was your the era that it felt good to be alive. I know I was! 90's era gave me my Kenner ALIENS and Toy Biz stuff, and I'm still as happy as I was today.

3. The 25th does pay good tribute to ARAH, but if there's one thing I have to say about it, is that it seemed to be more of an action figure driven line, then on vehicles. The end result: so many characters (and repetitive versions) were made in such a short timespan. Per instance, without exagerating, in 3 years of 25th, one had the choice of buying ten different versions of Snake Eyes of Cobra Commanders, while still waiting to get a big vehicle be remade into plastic. In ARAH, it took 3 years before getting the V2 Snake Eyes, and another 4 years before getting V3. Oh and in 3 years of ARAH, the Flagg, the Hydrofoil, the Mauler (etc) were made amongst so many offerings. We're still waiting for most of those to see the light in ME, but I think that will never happen.

4. While I was one of the first to call POC "Pursuit of Happiness", because Happiness is an ideal I want to attain when collecting, and I felt at the time that POC wasn't quite there, I was wrong. POC was ME Gi joe at its prime height, regardless If I liked it or not. Unfortunately I lost total interest in Retaliation stuff, I even lost my initial enthusiasm to go see it when they announced that the movie was beeing postponed. I can't stand anything called Retaliation and won't support it because of this. Call me traitor, but Retaliation is not going to last anyway so I'm waiting for the nest best thing to happen to Gi joe.

2 + 2 = 22

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 02:39:20 PM »

I'm a 25th ann. and newer guy, but with throwbacks to older/newer 12" figures. Yeah, I'm one of THOSE kinds of collectors.

I dropped all the O-rings joes I had........got rid of them, the few Vintage I had, all the new-sculpt, kept some vehicles because they still work just dandy.
I like the proportions, details ( figures now have actual ears!!) and intricacy of the post-25th figures.
 POC, for me, was a great line, loved it, bought into it quite well. Loved the aesthetic, the theme, all of it. Hasbro could do no wrong with POC.
The only glitch has been the "happy-meal figures" with the Retaliation vehicles. <gag reflex>

I'm still into the true vintage 12" Joes, early military and Adventure team--but I stick with the reproductions because they tend to be more affordable. I have a huge 500-ish 12" figure collection of Hasbro, 21C, Bbi, Medicom, Dragon etc.....loads of Classic Collection, modern 21C military accesory sets etc. Recently jumped into some of the Sideshow Joes, but only when I could find them below retail. Too pricey otherwise.
1/2 my collection remains in storage, awaiting a day when I can display it all again ( or sell off the stuff).

And that's just one part of my action figure collection......the rest are superheroes and other kinds of figures. Oy!

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 04:14:38 PM »

one of the things i do truly hate about Modern stuff (other than those horrific chest hinges) is the incessant redos of the same 6 characters. Duke, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander, Destro, Baroness.... ENOUGH ALREADY!

One good thing, I guess about RET is now it'll be incessant redos of Jinx, Jaye, Flint, Firefly and Roadblock...
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 04:26:53 PM »

one of the things i do truly hate about Modern stuff (other than those horrific chest hinges) is the incessant redos of the same 6 characters. Duke, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander, Destro, Baroness.... ENOUGH ALREADY!

Over 20 years ago, Hasbro Marketing tracked that those specific characters sold better than all the others, and so believed that those characters would always be in demand by casual consumers. It's influenced all of the RAH-based product ever since, and it's apparently been supported by each iteration of RAH along the way. We ( dedicated collectors/consumers) may be tired of those characters, but the general public still prefers them, and certainly because they are the most identifiable in the brand.

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 05:58:59 PM »

ARAH all the way for me since they were what I had back in the day (still do in most cases) and the show really made me a fan. latinjoe22 is right about affordability. Loose stuff is pretty cheap barring a handful of vehicles and figures. Most `82-`83 figures are about $30, `84-86 are about $25, later ones drop off pretty quickly. You can always get lots as well to lower the averages. It`s also nice to have a target. There`s no more ARAH Joes coming out, you know what a complete collection entails and can plan accordingly.

I considered collecting the 25th aniv. stuff but when I saw they released so many exclusives I figured I`d never be happy since I could never catch `em all.

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »

I have my joes from when I was a kid and have added some nice ones to that sinc (82-94).  I got back into collecting with the 25th for the express reason that they were updates of the 82-94 line.  So, the main reason I'm not actively collecting the 25th line now, is that I have already collected it.  I would suspect that is the same for a lot of collectors, but it does seem a lot of vocal fans seem to prefer the modern spin (reimagining) of poc and 30th.  While some of those were some pretty cool (jungle duke and snow job for example), I do prefer 25th type updates.  Kwinn and the upcoming cc, se, ss, and night viper would fit into that imo.  I say upcoming because I have yet to get them.

g.ijoecollecter3400

• where not worthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 06:57:05 PM »

I must correct myself. When i was speaking about vintage joe not being afordable @ 50$ to 200$ per figure, i did mean MOSC. Whenever i speak of price in my original post its always about MOSC.

( and now even 50$ to 200$ is in the cheap neighborhood for most MOSC vintage joe's, Hell some time ago i say a 82' snake eyes MOSC with the original grey or peach back or whatever it is, on ebay
ungraded, guy was asking 8000 or 10,000 cant remember...? And there where all kinds of offers. LOL )

Whoever latinjoe22 is right, when obtained and collecting loose vintage joes, it is affordable.