JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Anyone here in/around Edmonton?  (Read 3547 times)

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Anyone here in/around Edmonton?
« on: September 01, 2013, 06:05:58 PM »

Hi all- just asking if anyone on the board knows the Edmonton area very well?

I'm going to the Edmonton Entertainment Expo with my step-son in about a month, and was thinking of looking up some secondary targets--namely collector store specializing in action figures.

I'm staying in the Downtown area for a couple of days, so I'm central to all parts of the city.
I know of and will be visiting Happy Harbour Comics, and I know there's a couple of decent action figure stores in West Ed Mall. 
I'm most keen for a mix of vintage and new; namely Mattel DCUC and Hasbro Joes and some older stuff like Mattel Big Jim......but really, ANY good selection of action figures is what I'd like to explore.

Also, with the Downtown core in mind again, does anyone have any suggestion for good, CHEAP, places to eat. Open to all suggestions.

Any input, advice or tips are most welcome.

g.ijoecollecter3400

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • where not worthy
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here in/around Edmonton?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:11:02 PM »

Hi all- just asking if anyone on the board knows the Edmonton area very well?

I'm going to the Edmonton Entertainment Expo with my step-son in about a month, and was thinking of looking up some secondary targets--namely collector store specializing in action figures.

I'm staying in the Downtown area for a couple of days, so I'm central to all parts of the city.
I know of and will be visiting Happy Harbour Comics, and I know there's a couple of decent action figure stores in West Ed Mall. 
I'm most keen for a mix of vintage and new; namely Mattel DCUC and Hasbro Joes and some older stuff like Mattel Big Jim......but really, ANY good selection of action figures is what I'd like to explore.

Also, with the Downtown core in mind again, does anyone have any suggestion for good, CHEAP, places to eat. Open to all suggestions.

Any input, advice or tips are most welcome.

As far as location of toy stores to shop in: I have no idea ??? ???

But as far as good cheap places to eat: I have a friend that did some jail time in Montreal. They used to let them out under supervision to go clean the city. One of the places the cleaned up was around a McDonalds. They had it timed that exactly 11:45 AM the girl would come out of the back with a garbage bag full of still hot, somewhat fresh , sandwicjes and hash-browns. She'd through it in the dumpster out back.

It don't get very much cheaper then that....!!!! ( True story )
I oppened the drawer and there it was "" GONE ""

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 08:37:58 PM »

Ha..............aaaaaaaah.  :o

Why don't I amend that to non-franchise eating establishments.....preferably places that actually have good food.

McDonalds is like.........eating out of a toilet bowl......even when they serve it at the counter.

g.ijoecollecter3400

• where not worthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 08:45:08 PM »

Well, LA-DE-DA...MR. Fancy...

No, No, I kidd, I kidd.............

Well @ least my story might serve a purpose in the end: If any joe collecters blow's there food budget on new fig's or getting that long lost expencive toy the just " HAVE TO HAVE "  They can always fall back on the good-ol-- Micky D's dumpster...

LOL

g.ijoecollecter3400

• where not worthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 08:47:51 PM »

Well, LA-DE-DA...MR. Fancy...

No, No, I kidd, I kidd.............

Well @ least my story might serve a purpose in the end: If any joe collecters blow's there food budget on new fig's or getting that long lost expencive toy the just " HAVE TO HAVE "  They can always fall back on the good-ol-- Micky D's dumpster...

LOL

11:45 Don't be late, otherwise it might get cold and the number of bum's you have to fight off increases.  >:(

Sureshot

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 09:56:32 PM »

If you don't mind a ten minute bus ride from downtown Edmonton, try the Whyte/Old Strathcona area

Shades of Grey on Whyte Avenue usually has some neat stuff.
http://www.shadesofgreytattoo.com/toys-comics/

There's a couple of antique markets in the Whyte Ave area that sometimes have decent finds as well. This one is the biggest:
http://www.oldstrathconamall.com/

Lots of restaurants down that way too, with loads of variety.

kurt_eh

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:30:37 PM »

If Whyte Knight is still around, they've got a modest collection of vintage toys of all makes and models.