JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Retaliation Wave 3.5  (Read 2968 times)

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Retaliation Wave 3.5
« on: September 17, 2013, 10:32:31 PM »

Got my case in today from Small Joes--gotta say that this is about the most solid wave Hasbro has done in years. No outright stinkers, though Data-Viper is almost a contender for that.
Loads of accessories with these figures, having the "MARS" stands come with them is nice, but its a pity they come with only one foot-peg.
Ultimate Roadblock is a fantastic figure when all assembled, and posed with the M249 SAW Minimi.  Ultimate Duke is like the GIJOE Trooper from the first wave, loads of gear and the added masked head makes him a great generic squaddie.  With the drone in hand, ready to throw it, I get a real "Act of Valor"/ " Zero Dark Thirty" vibe off the figure--that is with the trooper head, not Duke's head. 
He does have a problem, holding onto the drone though, you will have to find the sweet spots and it can take a few tries to get it.

Data-Viper is just flimsy.
It takes a lot of fussing and setting to get the gear on in the first place, never mind trying to hit any poses with all the stuff on. Looks cool, but quite poor functionality.

The rest of the figures are really quite nice, and it begs the question of why Hasbro had to saddle the earlier waves with such lack-lustre and lesser-articulated figures. Every figure in this wave has articulated ankles and wrists, and several have rocker-ankles........so design/tooling budget excuses at the start don't seem to make any sense with this wave.

But that aside, I'm enjoying the whole bunch this afternoon. No regrets springing for the case.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Retaliation Wave 3.5
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:30:03 PM »

Yup. I got my 3.5 and 4 the other day.

I've got all the Master Collector sets and I have to say waves 3.5 and 4 in the same box make a much nicer collection of figures.

The Cobra Commander is fantastic and surprise surprise, the new Crimson Guard is way better then I thought.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:45:20 AM »

The other thing I've really liked is some of the re-used items, such as the pedestal missile launcher and the HISS drone being included with some of the figures. These items were not especially easy to come by the first time around, and their inclusion, albeit coloured differently, is still welcome.

GI.Suicide

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 09:05:19 AM »

I must agree with you arrow wave 3.5 is pretty awesome. It doesn't make sense how the earlier waves from the retaliation line were so awful and 3.5 being so solid. Its almost as if its an entirely different company is manufacturing them. And arrow if your a vehicle fan I suggest picking up the new eagle hawk if you haven't already. It is very well done.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »

I must agree with you arrow wave 3.5 is pretty awesome. It doesn't make sense how the earlier waves from the retaliation line were so awful and 3.5 being so solid. Its almost as if its an entirely different company is manufacturing them. And arrow if your a vehicle fan I suggest picking up the new eagle hawk if you haven't already. It is very well done.
It IS a puzzle how we can go from lesser articulation( and accessories) in a more heavily-ordered wave ( Wave 1) to MORE articulation on EVERY figure, in a wave ( 3.5) that ( safe guess) was probably half the quantity of wave 1.  And 3.5 would have been more or less locked-in just around the time of the film delay, or AFTER.

There are times when I just don't understand the toy industry at all.

I'm passing on the Eaglehawk. I simply do not have the room, and despite the praise for this new vehicle, I still love the Night Attack 'Copter more. I'm looking at off-loading some of my vehicles somewhat soon, too--just to free up some storage space.