JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Nighthawk's modern updates on vintage Joe ARAH figures  (Read 42184 times)

nighthawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
Nighthawk's modern updates on vintage Joe ARAH figures
« on: January 17, 2012, 01:13:07 PM »

Here's my thread for my updates on vintage characters on the Joe side:

Sgt. Slaughter:

Rapid Fire:
When I hear Rapid Fire, first thing to come to mind is that green monstrosity that Hasbro gave us with the VHS tape.  Well, this one is actually based on the 12" version.  YOJOE.COM | Rapid-Fire 
The grey helmet that came with Rollbar went to Sneak Peek so I gave him a protec helmet.

Sneak Peek:

His tower can connect to his backpack

Blizzard:

Leatherneck:

Duke:
I never thought I'd ever do a Duke custom...other than this minor tweak to fix his arms:

However, he's kind of outdated when you compare him to the new POC stuff.  The new POC Hawk did not scream Hawk to me.  I decided to use that as a base to make a more battle ready Duke and the POC Duke head was such a nice sculpt, I felt I had to use it somewhere.  Unfortunately, the skin tone was off from the 25th one so I give you my new battlefield Duke:

Long Arm:

Too bad I don't have a bomb for him to look over, but at least this shows that he can be posed on his knees looking over a bomb.

Ripcord:

Freefall:

Charbroil:

Slipstream:

This picture is an old one just to show how he looks without his helmet.

Iceberg:

Frostbite:

Sub Zero:

Mainframe:

Some more detailed pictures showing the backpack/walkie talkie mod. 

Here's another picture of the backpack.  Not the best quality picture, but gives an idea of what was done.  I cut a groove in the back frame part around the peg so it fits the contours of his webgear.

BBQ:

I modified the left leg so he can holster his nozzle. 

Side view of BBQ:

Close up of the holster.  I cut a bit too much on the bottom and now you can see the stress marks :(

Helmetless view:

Ambush:

Salvo:

nighthawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Nighthawk's modern updates on vintage Joe ARAH figures
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:19:26 PM »

Here's my thread for vintage era Cobra characters:

Cobra Commander:

Dr. Mindbender:

Closeups of the gauntlets:

Slice:

Dice:

Together:

Interrogator:

Monkeywrench:

For the glasses to fit, all I did was drill holes in his head for the glasses:

Mjr. Bludd:

nighthawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 01:20:58 PM »

Topside.

Deep Six:

Cutter with a Boston helmet

Shipwreck:

nighthawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 01:40:13 PM »

Rampart:
Here's one that's been on my to do list for a while.  I started on this one when POC Dusty first came out...yeah, it's been a WIP for a looooong time...haha.

Anyways, here you go, my modern Rampart:

The attachment point for his rifle:

Closeups of his head with goggles on and off.

rifle:

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 04:25:24 PM »

That's pretty good. He looks like he would fit in with last years Joe Canuck set.

Good on ya.

Timbit coming at you.  ;)
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

nighthawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 12:45:10 PM »

Not sure where to put him but here's an LBC of the new Tunnel Rat.  I need some suggestions on who I can make him into as I don't want him to be Tunnel Rat.  Were there any other Asian looking Joes that were not Martial Artists?

I really like the Renegades Tunnel Rat, but I felt he needed to have a vest and a way to hold all his gear so this is what I came up with.  However, I don't really want to use him as Tunnel Rat. 

Oh yeah, all his gear except his laptop is either in the backpack or just stuck into the side of his vest.  The Recondo vest actually has a hole in the side which is how I attached the stove and frying pan.  No mod was necessary.

I think one of the reasons it doesn't look that good with the backpack on is that the hole in the vest doesn't line up with the backpack hole, so the vest looks too big on him.  I took some pics without the backpack.  What do you think?  Just wanted some opinions before making the hole in the vest bigger so it can sit lower even with backpack.  Also, in person, the pouches on the vest actually very closely to his thigh pouches and the vest color matches his gloves and the light tan matches his pants...really, they do. :)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 01:39:34 PM »

I would do 2 things to this guy. first off I would gas the head. It doesn't "fit" the body IMO. Either try Slayer Design Studio, cop a head off a Joe Vs Cobra figure or look for a decent Star Wars head and make him a new character.

Next thing I would do is minor but I'd take some goof off to the Joe star on the right shoulder of that vest. The star is too big and I find my eyes keep going back to it, distracting from the rest of what looks to be a very cool, sort of chunky figure. 

I have a SDS Ambush head I've been trying to think of what to do with. Your body (with camo stripes on the pants) would make a great body for the head.

BTW, I like your Static Line in the background. Where did that head come from?

nighthawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 01:47:55 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  The Static Line head is just Renegades Ripcord's head with Jango Fett headset and VvV Gung Ho hat.  I'm still looking for a vintage Static Line backpack and antenna or any version of that backpack and antenna that was re-released, if anyone can help.

nighthawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 01:14:20 PM »

I had a Snow Serpent that didn't have the fur collar (used it for my Frostbite custom)

Since I had the extra hood, I decided to just make one of my Snow Serpents different and I had a dremelled out Snow Serpent helmet that I got in a trade a long time ago so I thought, hey why not...the cartoon has Snow Serpents running around without the helmet but with a cobra trooper head and helmet.  Thought it would be neat.  Here's the results.

After getting the Renegades Ripcord, I decided that I really like his gear.  Here's the original Freefall I made:

With Ripcord's harness added now

However, I'm debating if I should use Ripcord's helmet as well.  What do you guys think?  Use Ripcord's helmet or the 2 piece one I made above?

I love the new Airtight.  However, one of the things I loved about the vintage one was the hose that connects to his helmet.  So I managed to get the vintage hose and backpack and modded it onto the new backpack.

For Lifeline, I got the backpack with already modded so I was able to just slap it on. 

crazylegs

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio of Illustration & Design
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 06:55:36 PM »

It's all so awesome, my fave is the custom Rampart...is that the 25th Snake Eyes Winter Torso? If so man it looks so cool, my fave!

CL
"YO JOESKI!" - Horrorshow

Collection:
http://s1075.photobucket.com/albums/w430/Crazzylegs/GI%20JOE%20Collection/

Want List:
http:/

nighthawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 07:46:09 PM »

It's all so awesome, my fave is the custom Rampart...is that the 25th Snake Eyes Winter Torso? If so man it looks so cool, my fave!

CL

Thanks.  Yes, that is the 25th SE winter torso.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 08:25:43 AM »

I like the Snowjob figure. I'm working on one myself right now but I need a set of white legs like you have to make it work.