JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: To repro-decal or not to repro-decal  (Read 4249 times)

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
To repro-decal or not to repro-decal
« on: June 15, 2013, 11:53:07 PM »

So.....

Most of my vintage vehicles have had their decals rubbed off through play or damaged by excessive heat in an attic. For the heat damaged ones the glue expanded and bubbled underneath and stretched the original vinyl decals leaving them lumpy even when cleaned. I've heard from some circles that the act of tossing original decals and using repros is GREATLY frowned upon.

Of course these are for my personal collection and I would, of course, let anyone know if I was selling them, that they were repros. I've started on a MOBAT to see if I can refurbish the originals but I have to tell you, it's a HUGE PAIN in the ass.

Any thoughts? (I took some pics but I can't see how to attach them)

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: To repro-decal or not to repro-decal
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 02:14:18 AM »

it's your stuff, you do what you want. i plan to use repro decals on my WOLF when I can get some because the original owner stuck them on willy-nilly and some haven't aged well.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 02:54:44 AM »

Have you bought any before? Any recommendations?

I've been looking at Cobra Stickers since they put the Canadian ones on there but they don't have the Whirlwind decals and the Skystriker ones are never in stock.  :(

Rattlerrepros is another one I've looked at but do I really want to cut those long wing decals? Not really.

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 09:16:28 AM »

If using repro-decals would give you more enjoyment, it's a no-brainer.   ;D
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 02:49:52 PM »

i've not done it before, no. the only time i've done anything like it as when I got my Ferret, it lacked any stickers and the guy i bought it from threw in a broke chasis with the stickers on and i transferred them across.

i know a lot of folk swear by Cobra Stickers, though.

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 04:34:15 PM »

I guess I'm just trying to avoid the inevitable. Most of my old stuff is in great shape, except for the decals. It would cost me a fortune to buy enough garbage to collect all the decals again.

At current count I have at least 50 vehicles that need decals. *sigh*

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »

at the end of the day, it's your stuff and you should decide. it's entirely up to you. if you wanted, you could buy repro stickers and put Joe ones on Cobra stuff and vice versa. if that floats your boat.

Propergrounds

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 06:02:04 PM »

cobra stickers is the way to go.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 06:08:07 PM »

After-market decals are there to make whatever stuff you have in-hand right now look better ( or like new).  That alone would be a selling point in the future, should you decide to sell, even if the items are repros.  Most original decals/stickers end up looking like crud on the toys after a few years anyway, and they are not always applied properly to begin with by the original owners.

I say this: spend the $$ to get the nicest repro stickers you can and use them as you please. Clean up the toys  to your liking, getting rid of the crummy old stickers and replace with them the new ones. There's ain't gonna be no "sticker-police" coming to your house to call you out on it.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 08:38:51 PM »

I love Cobra stickers. Excellent work.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 10:01:09 PM »

Look at it this way, aside from the rare Sears exclusives, anything else was oretty much made in the tens of thousands, if not hundred of thousands of specimens, of which at least a decent enough fraction is still available to keep the collector community, not counting the 1990's vehicles w/ drivers of course, that stuff is becoming more hard to find. So original stickers or replacement stickers, the depreciation of the loose vehicles is insignificant next to the Power of the vehicles that were never assembled, never had their stickers applied on, or that are still sealed in their packages, etc.

So enjoy your loose vehicles, and I say forget about what others might think they're worth or not! Cobra Stickers is definitely the way to go.
2 + 2 = 22

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 06:07:18 AM »

Sorry guys, I had a weird feeling waking up this morning and I had to revisit my last post...

Look at it this way, aside from the rare Sears exclusives, anything else was pretty much made in the tens of thousands, if not hundred of thousands of specimens, of which at least a decent enough fraction is still available to keep the collector community happy, not counting the 1990's vehicles w/ drivers of course (that stuff is becoming harder to find). So original stickers or replacement stickers, the depreciation of the loose vehicles is insignificant next to the Power of the vehicles that were never assembled, never had their stickers applied on, or that are still sealed in their packages, etc.

So enjoy your loose vehicles, and I say forget about what others might think they're worth or not! Cobra Stickers is definitely the way to go.
2 + 2 = 22