JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Thoughts on Classified and Retro lines?  (Read 321425 times)

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Classified and Retro lines?
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2021, 12:59:42 PM »

I'm going to wade in with just a few small comments because I'm not collecting Classified. So my opinion is just that and don't put too much stock into what I say. I'm only going off first impressions. No detailed analysis.
I disliked the first wave and steadily they have been getting better. What they revealed looks great. If I was just stating out collecting this would be my line I think but since I started with 3 3/4 I'll stay in that line (also the 4" lines from 25th etc).

Why the love for Zarana so much? I feel she gets a ton of drednok love for some reason and she's great but I'm with canprime, I'd rather Ripper, Torch, and Buzzer get made first...with some choppers.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2021, 10:16:44 PM »

I have been collecting some of the classified figures.  My recent additions were Firefly and Snake Eyes w/ Timber.  Found them at a TRU in Newmarket last weekend. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2021, 07:21:31 PM »

It definitely looks like they've done an about-face on redesigning the characters and are just doing hyper-detailed 6" versions of the classic look.

Can't say I disagree with the approach.

Counting down the days until I get my Croc Master...

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2021, 11:36:19 PM »

I picked up Scarlett the other day.  Not a fan of this one.  This needs a redo. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2022, 07:21:38 AM »

So the Fan First Friday really was great.

I wish more Fan Firsts were like the Joe team.  Quick and to the point, no extraneous fluff to pad the stream.  Just show and tell me the new stuff and anything else I need to know.  Emily and Lenny did a great job as well.  Lenny being a big Joe fan, and right there with us in the collecting community/age group really shows in the line.

Tomax and Xamot look great.  Perfect Classified updates of the original look.  I like that the sash and shoulder pad are removable.  People are saying they look a bit like Tom Cruise, but I don't really see it myself.  Also that the scar is on the wrong side, but it is toy accurate as far as I can tell. Anyway, great debut.

Stalker looks great.  A nice mix of old school with modern touches.  The only thing I don't like is the colour.  It seems a bit too dark for my liking, but I guess that can change before release.  Or it can be done in the retro classified line.

Nice to see an army builder pack with the Vipers.  Also a nice nod to the 97(?) TRU packs.  The blue versions are good enough, especially for those who missed out on the CI exclusive version.  I was never a fan of the grey/red/gold look, but at least it is different enough to give options. 

Retro Classified.  All of these look great, and have managed to evoke the old ARAH line even though most use the more modern molds for Classified.  Destro is hilarious.  The slight tweaks to his colours does give him a bit more of the cartoon look, but it is still Classified in my mind.  Those eyebrows though.  Hilarious!!

Lady Jaye is the weakest of the lot for me.  More show accurate colours, and a new head make it somewhat better/different? but overall still a good figure.  That's the great thing about this sub line, most seem to be "nice to have" but not necessary if you have the first version.

Baroness looks great.  It really does make a difference eliminating all the gold highlights, and two tone colours (grey/black).  Instead this all black, with gloss paint on the armour bits really does evoke the original look.  The added bonus is you don't need to get the Baroness/Coil pack anymore to get her.

GUNG-HO!!!!!  GUNG-HO!!!!!  YES!!  This is the version we need and wanted!!  Great update to the old ARAH look.  Can't wait to get this bad boy.

Overall a great start to the new year for Classified.  Now if we are talking the retro sub line, give me a more ARAH looking Beach Head and Firefly please.

As for the Retro O-ring, I like the looks of the new 2 packs.  Great to have an army builder pack.  I like what Lenny said about not putting a "name" character in troop builder packs so collectors don't get stuck with a dozen Chuckles just to build their army. 

I was surprised by the CC/Duke choice.  I thought that Super7 had the market on Sunbow accurate looks for figures?  I guess not.  If that is the case, then it might be a bit of a hit on their ReAction line.  Just wish I had gone in on the SE/SS pack, but I waited and now it is sold out on Hasbro Pulse.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2022, 02:55:34 PM »

Well I have to say I was feeling both disappointment and excitement throughout the stream.

Disappointed:

The Retro carded figures.  I like the Sunbow-esque Zartan but not happy about the "exclusive" nature of trying to get him.  Thankfully not a need, but a want.  Storm Shadow?  Really?  We haven't even had the regular version released properly yet and you put this out there?

SE/Timber.  While I like the alternate look lining up with the Renegades look, I just don't like the idea of another SE with only minor tweaks and a Timber that really comes from the ARAH toy instead of Renegades (though he didn't have Timber in Renegades right?). This sort of mix and match style in one 2 pack is weird, and expensive.

On The Fence:

Blue Ninja 2-pack - While I like the troop building, masks, and male/female distribution, I am kind of "meh" about this pack.  I don't particularly care for either mold (red ninja, akiko).   Though the blue is a nice colour, and something different.  I'll probably get it, but not a must have right away.

The good:

PP/TF - While I am bothered by the lack of availability here in Canada (so far), I really do like these bad boys.  They are great updates/homages to the original ARAH figures.  While the Duke does nothing for me because of the mold, THAT RAM!!!!  Man the TF paint scheme for vehicles is just killer, and the RAM is no exception.  This is the one TF/PP item that I will definitely have to preorder.

Dusty/Zarana/CG -  Man Hasbro is really hitting it out of the park with these three.  Dusty is great, Zarana is great, and the CG is OUTSTANDING!!!!  Can't wait to get my greedy little mitts on these.

And of course the best for last.......SGT. SLAUGHTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man getting the man himself to introduce his figure was great, and so much fun to see, and hear, the man again.  He still has it.  The figure looks great, and it will be mine!!!!  I guess this is what comes of owning your character rights and being smart about how you sign off on products.  Three different companies get his character across 3 years??  Great work Sarge.

Also one more thing...

Hasbro, please, please, please, please release an art book for all the Classified packaging/art.  It has got to be the best in the industry right now.  Sorry MOTU:O you are a close second, but I wouldn't mind a book of your art as well. 

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2022, 10:41:17 AM »

I really like almost everything shown. Even though I'm not collecting classified, i am getting tired of SE and SS. haha
Hasbro is doing a pretty good job right now on that line.

I thought it might be cool to add an additional head to the cg's package or even pair a plains civilian figure with the cg as an alternate to his uniform look (2-pack). I really liked that aspect in the comic of the cg being your neighbours, lawyers, politicians etc.  Plus for dioramas they could double as normal citizens. (I can't believe I  would want a boring normal life action figure )

That Zarana is really nice. Dusty too
Sgt Slaughter looks good but his arms seemed a tad to short in the render....not sure. Something is just a little off but I can't quite place it. I think it looks better then the valaverse one, but Hasbro are trying to make a younger look close to the original look, so that's not a fair comparison. I've never been a huge fan of him as joe. These are already supposed to be the most elite trained soldiers. so... meh.

That Recondo looks great. Especially his head sculpt. the way they posed him holding the brim is a nice touch.

After this release Hasbro needs to move on from the ninjas to other characters. (Seriously, anyone besides CC, Destro, Baroness, SS, SE, Duke)

Finally, the most likely one for me to hunt down would be that Zartan. I would get this one if i could get it for reasonable price. He just has the right look for that scale.

Just my 2 cents. What's yours?

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2022, 06:42:52 AM »

Hasbro's Joe team did a follow-up to the stream with some of the fan sites.  Here are the highlights as compiled by Hisstank, and edited a bit by me here:

1- Currently asking permission about doing another Haslab. Waiting to hear if it will go forward. Specifically said vehicle (not which one obviously).

2- Windowless packaging will have a "vault with keypad" look and numbered to figure identity. Whatever that means.

3- O-ring getting new packaging and a "soft reboot" (again whatever that means)

4- Troops builder packs ala ML Hydra, Hellfire, etc. Usual noncommittal answer.

5- SE & Timber is general release. Sgt. Slaughter will be Fan channel/Pulse with lots of quantity. Blue Ninja 2-pack is Amazon exclusive. Kamakura is an Amazon exclusive. Dr. Mindbender no word on preorder or where he will be available.

6- Retro Carded Classified will be only 8 figures, and then move to new look. No comments on what that means.

7- All Classified figures will have preorders going forward.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2022, 12:21:31 PM »

Got a nice little surprise yesterday.

My preorder for the Classified Cobra Officer came in early.  So I was able to get him, and while I haven't had a chance to open him yet, he does look great.  My only little quibble, so far, is that the silver on his Cobra Logo is a bit mute and doesn't show as well as I would like.  I would have preferred a bright silver, but as I said a minor quibble.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2022, 06:41:46 AM »

If anyone is interested in paying a crazy price, Gamestop currently has Classified Dr. Mindbender for preorder (in store/phone only, not online).

The SKU is 770520.

The price is $70, so I am assuming that is the recently seen Dr. Mindbender in the fancy box with all the weird accessories.  Much like last year's exclusive colour changing Zartan.  Zartan was over $60 last year I believe so it isn't too much more, but still.  There should be a cheaper regular retail release coming as well.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2022, 10:38:55 AM »

Got a nice little surprise yesterday.

My preorder for the Classified Cobra Officer came in early.  So I was able to get him, and while I haven't had a chance to open him yet, he does look great.  My only little quibble, so far, is that the silver on his Cobra Logo is a bit mute and doesn't show as well as I would like.  I would have preferred a bright silver, but as I said a minor quibble.

Nice. I couldn't justify the price so I passed on this one. Would love to somehow see an actual picture of this. I'll just wait for youtube videos to be uploaded in the coming days.