JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Favourite playset  (Read 1643 times)

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Favourite playset
« on: November 30, 2021, 12:18:08 PM »

As the title says I'm interested in what is your most favourite gijoe/cobra playset and why? I never had one growing up, (I mostly made mine from cardboard boxes and vic20 cartridges and tape cassette cases.) but I'd love to hear your stories.

I have managed to purchase a few in the last number of years so I have a favourite now but I want to hear you guys first.

bishop

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite playset
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 01:57:11 PM »

I love the MCC... It's huge, man!!! I also like the surveillance port, very well designed toy and lots of play action - packed in a very small factor.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 01:37:32 PM »

awesome but anything more? what made the design of teh survelliance port special? Was it just the size of the MCC?
I'm looking for some in depth comments and nostalgia here :)

bishop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 12:02:54 AM »

I did not have any playset growing up, just figures and a few accessories. The MCC was always a favorite of mine since it was huge, lots of play value and also it can function as vehicle. The introduction of the MCC in the comic is awesome! Anyway, I found one online almost complete for a reasonable price which spark again my interest i  it.

The surveillance port is more for diorama. I got a lot of vipers (new ones from the viper pit), so they look fantastic together.

How about you?

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 04:24:56 PM »

Well I got the Flagg for Christmas.......so of course that is my favourite.

Second would be the Defiant.  I actually got one about 15 years ago complete and in great condition so it was a joy to......enjoy as an adult.

bishop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 07:20:43 PM »

Lucky you, I imagine the joy of opening this gigantic box. The defiant is somewhere in my list one day... Good story though! I bought my flagg in the states and took it back to Canada. I had a huge box behind me and the custom officer looked at me very weird when I told I had a aircraft carrier with me (yes I had to declared it ;). Probably my third fav playset.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 02:55:04 AM »

Only playsets I had were the Air Defence and Checkpoint Alpha. I wanted the MCC REAL bad, I'd sit and stare at it in the Argos catalogue (like, Sears, I guess?) repeatedly in 1989 or 90 when it came out over here.

Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

bishop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 10:36:42 PM »

I did not have a lot of playsets growing up, like most kids, I was mixing star wars, gi joe and other lines without any trouble. Bookshelves were my primary playset, with all sorts of pieces.  I had the mountain howitzer and I had a lot of fun with it... loading the shell, fake firing, etc. It was a blast. The star wars droid factory ended up being the HQ for everyone. I loved the computer sticker on the side and the ramp on the side. Oh and I got the huge fortress of fang from D&D where a lot of the action was taking place. Those spikes were fun...

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 02:32:47 AM »

Am I the only kid who didn't mix their toys? I mean, I used AF and GI Joe, and I did use Witterquick from Visionaries in with Joe figures when I was playing using the figures as characters I made up, but I never did Transformers VS Gobots or something...
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 11:53:22 AM »

I had no playsets growing up. Cardboard boxes and blankets and old vic 20 cartridges with lego furniture were my playsets growing up.

My first playset I bought as an adult was in 2001 headquarters which was cool but the whole tower thing was kind of useless besides the top level.  Then I got the original 92 headquarters in a lot buy locally but it has the same issues and worse colours :D.
Then i got ok version of the original mcc which was cool, but I'm missing stuff, and have some some broken parts like the hinge door that closes it up. Also very few vehicles fit in it. Plus the way it was depicted in the comics as being able to actually be opened up to the air was a big detract. I prefer to think of the different layers just how to actually play with it not that it actually seperates into that many layers.

Then i got the 83 hq but I'm  missing stickers and possibly missing parts and a few broken parts (jail door) , then I got me a flagg that is mostly complete. Just missing a few things and can't justify the ridiculous replacement costs. (Anyone do 3d prints?)

Picked up an okay terrordrome last year but missing quite a bit of the lower level stuff on it and my firebat is mostly just a shell (luckily i have the re-release one).

So I love playsets. These are the things I wish i had as a kid.

I think my favourite to look at is the flagg for sure when you load it with planes, but the one I like the most is the 83 hq.
Its just got everything right about it. It has a command centre, a better jail then the mcc or the 92 hq, a place to park your vehicles, all the different ways the early vehicles could interact with it. It can handle a decent amount of figures. Its big but because you can take it apart you don't need special large bins. Its just right in all the ways. Plus i love that particular story line in the comics when cobra commander was captured and storm shadow came to break him out. the play value is amazing.
Maybe one day i will try and return all these things to their former glory.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 10:31:54 AM by B »

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 10:10:41 PM »

I used Knob Hill Farm baskets and blankets to make Cobra bases as a kid. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

bishop

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 08:22:18 AM »

Who else used old stryrofoam? I had so much fun creating bases out of those. We had to have a lot of imagination back in the days!