JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: What's your pick for 2008? Best......  (Read 4223 times)

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
What's your pick for 2008? Best......
« on: December 25, 2008, 09:44:22 PM »

Thought I would ask.  What do you consider the "Best of 2008?" 

I broke it down into categories, but feel free to pick whatever.

Best single carded figure - 

It was a really tough decision with so many new and updated figures that I loved.  It came down to 2 great updates.  The BAT and Eel.  In the end the "best of the best" from Cobra's forces won out.  The Eel is my choice for best single carded figure.

Best Comic 2 pack -

Lt. Falcon/Nemesis.  I know this is probably a controversial choice, but after considering many things, I went with a pack that had 2 "new" figures, great accessories (especially Nemmy) and a good comic (not great).  Both were good updates, even with the common complaints about Lt. Falcon.

Best "SRO" 3 pack -

I went with the Naval Command.  A nice Deep Six alternate fig, a passable Cutter and a cartoon accurate Torpedo made this set stand out over the other sets this year.

Best Multipack - 

I decided to go with all the current multipacks rather than break them down into 5 packs and 7 packs.  This was a pretty easy choice.  Even though we got greenshirts and accurate CGs, it really was no contest.  The Arctice Extreme conditions pack was the far and away winner.  Great reuses of figures, and "new" troopers.

Best Vehicle -

Man, this was a doozy.  I really loved the vehicles released this year, but when it came time to pick, it was down to 2.  The Rattler and the Firebat.  I love me some Cobra Air Force.  Final nods had to go to the more iconic vehicle, the Rattler.

Best "Accessory" -

Sooo many choices...a new Swamp Skier, Trakker's Helipack, the TV camera from the Movie, Vines to hold Roadblock, etc. etc.  This was really too tough.  Every choice seemed right, and not right.  I have to say the TV camera from the Movie was my favourite.  It is just a great little nod to a classic moment.  However, almost anything could really have been chosen.

2008 "BEST" overall -

MASS Device.  Really was there any doubt?  An iconic item that really was worth the "build-a" concept. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: What's your pick for 2008? Best......
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 08:26:05 AM »

Its been a great year, my choices are

Best Single Carded figure: Bat

Best Comic 2-pack : Beachead & Mainframe/Dataframe

I don't have any of the SRO sets yet. I need more troops and less command.but haveing looked at several in store. Destro and the IG's take it.

Best Multipacks: Firefly & Greenshirts for me since I only own that and the CG set.

Best Vehicle: Firebat (its what I wanted and got for Christmas) Otherwise I'd like a FANG.

Best Accessory: The sword rack that comes with the snake eyes & hard master comic pack. Slowly building up all the items needed for a cool dojo.

Best Overall: 5 packs!! Good $ : figures ratio. Love the small squad building.

This is only based on what I was able to get this year and I usually don't get anything ordered in from the States (the firebat being the exception but that was from my wife).

thatcarlguy

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 11:36:46 AM »

Best Single figure: I'm going to go with the Bat as well. He's simply awesome

Runner up: Pilot Scarlett (Glenda). I just like the look of her. The blue and white looks great.

Best Comic Pack: For me it was the Crimson Twins. I had to get them online. I never saw them in Canada. Perhaps it was the hunt and eventual capture I enjoyed most.

Best SRO pack: The Navel one was really great. It gave me 3 characters I didn't already have.

Best Multipack: The second DVD pack Revenge of Cobra. It had the best Destro I've ever seen AND Lady Jaye with no hat. Something I've wanted since I was a kid.

Best Vehicle: I don't have room for vehicles. So I can't vote here.

Best Accessory: Weather Dominator. Does that count? I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

Best Overall: Again, I don't know if it counts here but I got Zartan and all 3 main Dreadnocks. I can't help but look over at them all the time. They were not sold as a set (well 2 of them came together) but they make a set in the end. And they look cool.

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »

Best Single figure: I really liked the BAT, but I have to vote for the Snow Serpent.  It was a really nice figure with a really nice assortment of accessories.  Plus, I love specialized units.

Best Comic Pack: Tomax and Xamot.  They were always two of my favorite Cobras and having them in a comic pack was perfect.  They also got me started in the 25th line...  I held off for the longest time, eying the twins in Zellers...  then, finally one dark afternoon I caved in and bought them, thus launching my newest collection.

Best SRO pack: I didn't get any of the first three, so of the second wave, I have to say Destro/IG Pack. 

Best Multipack: The only Mulit-packs I have so far are the first 2 DVD Packs.  I have to go with the Revenge of Cobra one...  Although I wish Destro had come with his MARS briefcase.

Best Vehicle: I only have the first wave, so mu options are limited - but of the four, the VAMP takes the cake.  the RAM is a close second, though.  I'm sure if I had a Rattler, it'd be a surefire winner.

Best Accessory: Hard to choose a best accessory...  I like Junkyard, though.  If he can count as an accessory.

Best Overall: I have to agree with That Carl Guy...  the dreadnoks are awesome and are something I HAD to have in my collection.  They look great and are simply amazing, for me.  I can't wait to see if they expand the Dreadnok line...  Monkeywrench, Roadpig, Thrasher in his Thunder Machine...  so many possibilities.

silentdusty

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • Crusty Ol' Master Warrant Officer
    • View Profile
    • Diowarriors
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 09:15:13 PM »

Best Single Carded Figure: The BAT, close second the Paraviper.

Best Comic Pack: For me the Hooded CC/Tripwire, I even like the comic with it. Tripwire was always one of my favorite Joes, and I really like this CC for some twisted reason.

Best SRO: Can't comment too much on this I only looked at them at TRU, I have to go with the Naval pack as well.

Best Multipack: No comment didn't get any

Best Vehicle: For me it was the VAMP, this was the first vehicle I ever owned as a kid, and they did a fantastic job updating it.

Best Accessory: I have to go with the Paraviper's swag, that is bar none the best outfitted figure I have seen in ages.

Best Overall: This is a tough one for me, because other than the vehicles I'm still not entirely sold on the 25th line, I think that I will have to go with the BAT, this is really the only figure that really started to sell me on this series, they did a fantastic job with the sculpt, and the back pack (once you figure out where to stow the hand) is the icing on the cake.
Silent Dusty

BludChylde

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 09:46:05 PM »

Best Single Carded: Snow Serpent with Para-Viper being a close second.

Best Comic Pack: Breaker/Destro. Yes the bubble gum gimmick could have been done a bit better, but it was still a decent attempt and adds some character to the figure. Runners up would be Copperhead/Shipwreck just for the Copperhead and Ripper/Torch.

Best SRO:  Haven't bought one yet, but the one that appeals the most to me is the Naval one.

Best Vehicle: I only have the Hiss Tank right now, but out of what I have seen, I would say the Rattler with the Firebat and VAMP folowing close behind.

Best Accessory: The push cart with element tanks from the MASS Device DVD box set.

Best Overall: MASS Device. I can't wait to have a complete one.

FastFord58

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 06:32:50 PM »

Best Single Card - Paraviper. This was a totally unexpected figure for me. The figure is very sturdy, has an intimidating presence and comes with the coolest gear yet. He really gives the impression of being a highly trained badass.

Best Comic Pack - Tomax and Xamot. There has been much ballyhoo about the head sculpts on these guys, but I think they look good. These are 2 figures that are very important in the joe-verse and we will not see these as a single/dual card release. This comic pack was a blessing.

Best SRO set - GI Joe Naval command. An excellent pack with alternates of already released figures and a new figure, Cutter.

Best Multi-Pack - Nnightwatch. Cobra troops are pretty awesome and these guys are no exception.

Best Vehicle - Rattler. This is still my all time favourite vehicle in the Joe line. Retro colours and canopy in tact, this vehicle wins hands down.

Best Accessory - Firefly's tool case backpack. I love all fo the little tools inside the case. Accessories like this make me really wonder about other "lesser" accessories released by HAsbro.

Best Overall - Once again, I will say Paraviper. Unexpected awesome all the way around.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 09:48:59 PM »

Best Single Card figure - Torpedo. 

Best Comic Pack - Torch and Ripper

Best SRO set - Iron Grenadier Command

Best Multi-Pack - Extreme Conditions - Arctic Assault Squad

Best Vehicle - Ghost H.A.W.K.

Best Accessory - Junkyard

Best Overall - DVD sets
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 10:17:32 PM »

I will mainly talk about the vehicles since these are the only one I collect in the 25th ann. line, except for the 2 figs below.

Best single carded figure
I like best the EELS. Nicely done, looks great!

Best "Accessory"
Jetpack from the Cobra Air trooper.

Best Vehicle

My 3 best vehicles are:
  • AWE
  • Rattler
  • Firebat

The only one I had when I was a kid was the Firebat which I sold 3 years ago for $50... Now I can get 2 for this price  :o! At the same time I sold it, I wanted it back. So I was very excited when I saw the Firebat was produced again ;D.

AWE and Rattler are, like the Firebat, iconic vehicles for me (and for a lot of people I think). I like best the AWE because of all the details (antenna, great cannon, suspension, can hold 4 figs, etc.).

While I'm a big fan of the HISS, I'm a little bit disapointed about the 25th version because there are no improvements from the original. The VAMP and the RAM got major updates and look (for me) better than the originals. The new HISS could have benefits from real treads (like the Mobat). Since it is produce in black, blue and now red, the mold is now more than pay.

Martin
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 10:19:07 PM by martin-montreal »

Kronz

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 03:57:48 PM »

I bought all of my 25th and 25th-style figures in 2008 so bear with me if I mention an 07 by mistake.

Best figures: Croc Master, Copperhead, IG Destro, Eels, comic pack Firefly..  really Hasbro nailed the Cobras this year. Of the 80 or so 25ths I have, the overwhelming trend is great Cobras, so-so Joes. I am quite fond of the comic pack Duke-if-he-was-an-82 and the two-headed Beachhead. Not sure if he's an 08 but the 84 Roadblock in carded form is also a real favorite since he can actually hold that ridiculous gun.

Best vehicle: HISS, simply because I was annoyed the VAMP doesn't have removable cloth doors and roof any more. I would easily hand it to the VAMP if Hasbro had included the original doors/roof. I wasn't thrilled to have to buy the driver for the HISS separately though so maybe that evens the field (the blue guy can be a gunner, but he's not driving my HISS). Both are great rigs any way I look at them. Having passed up Sharcs, Firebats and the TB/RAM set... I am kicking myself. The last thing I need is another Sharc since I've always thought it was too awkward to fit guys in anyway and my Night Force version remains mostly intact somewhere in storage. Every other anniversary vehicle is a must-have. Now if only I knew someone who could go to Target for me...

Best box set: Cobra Night Watch. Despite not including someone buff enough to carry Roadblock's heavy machine gun, this set is the best of the army builders by far. The greenshirts are nicely equipped and all but I hate the idea of "nameless" Joes. In my mind, there are not disposable Joe troops, that's what the other branches of the Military are for...Joes are elite individuals. But I digress. Oh the Night Watch set is a great place to get a gun for comic-pack Copperhead. That's just gravy. I just grabbed the Crimsons today so I can't judge them yet. I would have liked they came with machine guns and wood rifles though, instead of just the carded version's stuff.

Best Comic Pack: I bought a lot of these but most of them was just for one guy. For instance, that Firefly/Storm Shadow set is a mockery. Including the best-ever Firefly with one of the worst Storm Shadows of all time? Oh well. I guess the best one for me is the 82-stylized Duke with Red Star. Beachhead and Mainframe probably come in second place.

Worst figure: by far the worst I got was the Serpentor who came with the Air Chariot. I even love Serpentor, but christ almighty this is a bad one. If he had even just come with his cape and daggers I'd be more forgiving. As is, I don't consider him a real figure and would not pose him with the rest of my Cobras. The DVD box will have to come my way before I accept the Emperor back into my team. Second worst for me is Glenda/Scarlett. Just ugly and pointless to me. I also can't for the life of me think how Matt Trakker is supposed to mingle with guys who are traditionally much larger. I never once played MASK stuff with my Joes. It's nice that Hasbro likes to raid Kenner's old copyrights but this is just baffling.

Bandalero

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »

is it too late to get in on this action?

Cobra BAT.  Over the year I've bought more than 20, that's more of the same figure than I've ever owned in my life.  This was the perfect update to an already popular army builder, I love BATS!

Best Comic 2 pack -

Don't mean to copy you FastFord58 but you hit all the points on the Crimson Twins comic pack.  I know alot of fans prefer them in business suits, but c'mon - they were known for their circus-esque costumes.  As characters, I'm sure everyone's Cobra hiearchy includes the Twins, therefore this was THE comic pack to get.  A close second for me with honorable mention would be Ripper/Torch - their looks were iconic compared to their single carded releases bleh!

Best "SRO" 3 pack -

Didn't buy a single one, but will go with Destro and his IGs only for the army building factor and the new purple troop

Best Multipack - 

Hands down DVD Pack 5 without question.  You got a chrome-faced CC with open hands, a bomb and camera from the movie, Alpine in all his glory, yet another Duke sure, but with a cool blue metallic jetpack!, and another Cobra trooper with parachute gear I quickly gave to my AVAC.  All of that AND the final piece to build the MASS Device.  Even if you were only after an Alpine, there was something in this pack for everyone!

Best Vehicle -

Great vehicles this year, RAM, VAMP, HISS, Firebat, Rattler, on and on.  It's such a hard decision here because Hasbro improved on everything.  In the end I'll pick the AWE Striker only because it was my favourite as a kid and as an adult.

Best "Accessory" -

Wow ummm one I didn't own - the sword rack from the Hard Master/SS pack - couldn't bring myself to buy a comic pack only for the sword rack heh.  From what I do own though, best accessory is Bazooka's backpack.  Hasbro made it much more realistic, removeable shells, hollow rocket launcher to load them into, and the backpack could actually carry the launcher when not in use.  Very practicle!

2008 "BEST" overall -

Wave 9.

No single wave has been as impactful as Wave 9.  Hasbro gave us our G.I. Joe leader in his famous bomber jacket, fan favourite BBQ, two fan favourite army builders (and excellent updates) in the BAT and Snow Serpent, Ninja-Ku who was the first and obvious tribute to an international Joe, and of course my personal favourite Bazooka - and what an update it was!

Wave 9 is what I spend hundreds of dollars on on gas money running around from store to store to see if they had new shipments.

AirborneRigger

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 05:46:32 PM »

The Cobra Paraviper! I'm a paratrooper and Hasbro hit this one nearly perfect, but I did kinda help with that.  :wink:

Best Comic 2 pack -

Lt. Falcon/Nemesis.  Love this set. Nemesis Enforcer is perfect! Falcon could've been better had they just changed the arms.

Best "SRO" 3 pack -

Air Command was my favorite. Especially the "Starduster" and Ace figures. I even picked up an extra set to give Starduster his camo.

Best Multipack - 

The Extreme Conditions Winter set is the best. Vipers, Snow Serpents, winter Televipers, and Scrap Iron. Perfectly designed set!

Best Vehicle -

The Firebat! I had just the Firebat as a child with some parts missing but I played with it all the time. Now I have 5 new Firebats!

Best "Accessory" -

The Paraviper's gear!

2008 "BEST" overall -

PARAVIPER!